We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honest car rental in cairns?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 5
honest car rental in cairns?

anyone deal with car rental in cairns? none of the companies have gotten very good reviews, as far as i can find. most have scam warnings on review sites. any experience with any of these"

VIP rentals.com

carrentals.com

A1car rentals.com

zoomzoom .com

europcar .com

help! thanks

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
1. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

We have used Eurpocar out of Cairns with absolutely no problems.

Vroomvroomvroom is not a car rental agency, but a 3 remconsolidator

South Pole
reviews: 37
2. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

we have used redspot with no problems.

luck of the draw i guess.

Sydney/Melbourne
3. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

Oops! That was meant to read

'3rd party consolidator' - useful for doing comparisons. '

san francisco
reviews: 5
4. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

thanks... i know they're 3rd party booking agents... just wondering about anyone's experience using them...? they've gotten mixed reviews. i know there will always be disatisfied customers, but as i am a disabled traveler with a wheelchair, i need to know that there won't be a "bait and switch" on me at the counter with a different car than specificed that won't hold my wheelchar and additional costs... appreciate any feedback!!

Sydney/Melbourne
5. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

I can only give you my own experience. We always get our rentals through vroomvroomvroom.

Mostly the cost is far less than if dealing directly through the individual rental company website. However, once you complete the booking process all dealings are with the rental company. So, if for example, you select an Avis car then you deal directly with Avis, not the consolidator.

Sometimes when you arrive at a rental agency they don't have the car you booked available and they may give you what they consider a free upgrade. Sometimes this may not be what you want.

Given your circumstances I would make sure that you contact the rental agency directly by phone or email and emphasize your special needs to ensure you get what you need.

Teesside
reviews: 24
6. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

Leisure Wheels in Sheridan Street are fantastic.

They don't quibble if you take the car an hour over the 24 hour period, are happy to drop you at the airport at a fraction of a taxi fare and nothing was too much trouble.

A family run company with a family run service - so much better than the big corporates!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 143
7. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

mebedivin

Unfortunately there are some less than steller car operators in Australia and no doubt globally.

However they are all at the mercy of the people who rent them, to bring them back in good working order, reasonably clean and on time.

If this doesn't happen, then the car becomes unavailable while it is taken out of the rental loop for repairs, cleaning or simply waiting for the person to bring the car back ! So not necessarily bait and switch tho' there is no doubt that that can happen !!

I would definitely contact the car rental agency directly to see what vehicles are best suited to your needs.

For example their cheapest models may be a Nissan Tiida or similar and I doubt it could fit luggage and a wheelchair in the boot (trunk) or even on the back seat.

Also, you may be used to certain models of different manufacturers, but IME, we have different names for our models here so it would pay to clarify PRIOR to booking ... most car rental companies will not have yards full of vehicles of all shapes and sizes in case renters change their minds.

Finally, to avoid "surprises" and perhaps even shock specifically with insurances, have a read of this FAQ - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Balgal Beach Nth...
reviews: 9
8. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

1300meteor

Largest family owned car rental company in NQ. Great service.

Salt Lake City...
reviews: 4
9. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

I would like to share an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience with the Ace office in Cairns, Australia, and warn anyone to seriously think twice about renting from this office. Based on the experience that we had, I would very wary of what other issues might surface during a rental with this agency/branch.

We booked a car for a day with Ace on the recommendation of the hotel we were staying at, partly because they would pick-up and drop-off. We received the car, and went on our business, returning late the same day. Realizing we weren't told about a night drop-off box for the keys, we kept the car overnight (still well within our 24 hour booking). We were scheduled to go out on a tour the next morning, so had the hotel call Ace and see if they could just come collect the car when it was convenient for them (again, they offer pick-up/drop-off service, and the hotel was all of one block from the office). As I listened to the hotel manager talk with the Ace representative, it was clear from the 3rd person perspective that this was no problem at all. After hanging up, the hotel manager confirmed....no problem....they would come pick the car up; no worries (please note that at this time, we still had enough time to return the car to their office, although we would be rushing).

Upon our return from our tour we were surprised to still see the rental car in front of the hotel that evening, and again the next morning. The hotel manager called the office, and they indicated that they just hadn't had the staff available to come get it. Well, our flight out wasn't until the afternoon, so I figured I would take the car back as it was on our way to town anyway. Imagine my surprise and disgust as I was informed at the office that I was being billed a $65 vehicle recovery.

I informed the clerk, Sara, that we had called to make arrangements for the vehicle to be picked up and told that it was "not a problem". She indicated that it wasn't a problem, but it was an extra charge (first mention of this!). During none of the conversations were we ever informed that there would be a charge for having them come pick up the vehicle (remember that we had time and could have dropped it off the morning before). Despite having Sara talk to the hotel manager to reconfirm the conversation they had, and trying to talk to the branch manager Ben Staddon, the office was unwilling to drop this charge. Finally, after over 1/2 hour or more of discussion, they said they would refund the pickup charge, but would charge me an additional days rental of $35.

Obviously, neither the desk clerk nor the branch manager were interested in customer satisfaction. They admitted that they had not quoted a pick up charge, admitted that they did not try to contact me (they had my mobile), and admitted that they were not short on cars and would not in fact have rented the car had it been back in their office. They were simply unwilling to refund the charge, saying they didn't have anyone in the office to pick up the car (it was a 5-minute walk from hotel to office [Ace rental to Tropical Heritage Hotel….Google it], and they in fact have a shuttle driver in the office all day that is available for airport pick-ups), and that it didn’t matter that we had called them. Sara, in fact, initially wasn’t even willing to get the manager on the phone (Saturday, his day off) and suggested that I call him on Monday, even though I informed her I would be in the United States by then.

Given this level of dis-information and deceipt, along with a general lack of caring about customer satisfaction, I would caution any potential patrons to be wary of this location, and as a minimum to get all arrangements (no matter how trivial and straightforward they may seem, and how often you are told ‘no worries’) in writing and witnessed.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
10. Re: honest car rental in cairns?

I also had a fantastic experience with Leisure Wheels in Cairns. They were very friendly and accommodating, picked us up from the railway station and dropped us off after our rental at the airport - free of charge. The vehicle was in excellent shape, appropriately powered (it was a diesel iMax) and exactly what we booked. Very happy, would only rent with Leisure Wheels if in Cairns again.