We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Hi,

We’re looking to do four nights/three days around GBR. We have decided on our itinerary for the three days and are now looking to book hotels.

I’m just wondering how the nightlife for Cairns and PD compare against eachother? We’re a mature family of three so not into your nightclubs/bar scene, overwhelmed by those a lot younger than you, but more your serene, laid-back lifestyle, nice restaurants, good/safe walks areas nightlife.

For most of what we would like to do it would be better to be in Cairns but we can still do these in activities if in PD.

Can anyone share their views on where they would settle for?

Thanks, Jay

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
1. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Based on the other thread I actually thought you were looking for nightlife..

As I mentioned on your other thread.

PD is quieter and more laid back. yes you can do everything from PD or enroute to PD in the case of Kuranda.

It sounds to me like PD is the place for you.

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 63
2. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Port Douglas much more holiday feel and laid back, nice atmosphere, as it is a lot smaller. Cairns is a working town.

I like the relaxed feel of the restaurants in pd and would not hesitate to choose that one for you.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
3. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Port Douglas has a number of very good restaurants, some with cocktail bars. You can have dinner at one, then wander to another for cake & coffee or a nightcap later in the night. It is quite safe walking around PD at night, although like anywhere, I wouldn't go wandering into totally deserted areas. We didn't have a car when we were last there and just walked everywhere at night.

London, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Thanks everyone. I had the impression Cairns may not be our preferred for nightlife but was not sure how different PD was. Given the convenience of staying at Cairns wanted to determine whether PD would still be better, which it appears to be.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
5. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

Another vote for PD; the town will certainly suit your age group. There are also some very good restaurants too & as mentioned you can easily do heaps of tours from PD.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 50
6. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

just my thought..but I would suggest Cairns...PD is dead at night..even for the most ..zombie like creature

7. Re: How do you compare Cairns and Port Douglas nightlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, December 15, 2013