We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milton Keynes, UK
Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

I.m going to Cairns for 3.5 days next month and can't decide between a trip to Kuranda (and skyrail) or Cape Tribulation and Daintree eco experience. Is there anyone out there who can recommend one or the other? I'm also planning a trip on the wavedancer catamaran to the Low Isles. Anyone done that?

Any suggestions on these or any other excursions to Cairns would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks!

Buderim, Australia
reviews: 15
1. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Hire a car and do the lot yourself. See my tour tips in PD forum Feb 28.

Australia
2. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Yes,I've done them all.

Can thoroughly recommend the Daintree/Cape Tribulation over the Skyrail experience, but keep in mind that from Cairns it will be a much longer day with an early morning pick up, whereas Skyrail is much closer.

Wavedancer to Low Isles is great, but again remember that this is only the inner reef,not the outer reef.

If choosing the reef and the rainforest experience, these are two full day trips, not leaving you much time for anything else.

If you do decide on Kuranda/Skyrail, perhaps include the Tjapukai Aboriginal Park or The Rainforeststation in with it, you'll enjoy the day more.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
reviews: 24
3. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Hi Nurdin

I had done the Kuranda (With Skyrail) and Cape Tribulation & Daintree Tour with a Day tour company. The view was so beautiful from the Mountain top and I still missed the Tea with Scones (YUMMY Cream & Jam) at one of the stop. For Kuranda, you can do it without a tour company, it very easy for us: we took the local bus that stop at the main road outside the Skytrain station and walk pass the carpark to the main building.

Hope this helps.

Cairns QLD
4. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

deffinatly hire a car. Make sure there is no hidden extras when you shop arround. I shopped arround and got best deal at cairnsoldercarhire.com and they gave me maps to Cape Tribulaiton and Kuranda.

Catamaran is the best option I reckon on the reef. Not as rocky. Make sure your lunch is included. can be very expensive to buy.

Enjoy your holiday!!

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 2
5. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Definately Cape Trib. for a few days.

NZ
reviews: 6
6. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Avoid Tjapukai by Noght like the plague!! A complete waste of time and money!

Washington, DC
7. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Definitely Do Daintree - Cape Tribulation over Kurunda... 2000 ft . mountain hardly justifies a 'skytrain" or a regular train.

The rain forest is more spectacular in Daintree/Trib. The ride along the Coast north of Cairns to Portdouglas is beautiful.

As for the GB Reef Dive.

You want a fast boat...more time diving and less time cruising... I used QuickSilver's Silver Sonic out of Port Douglas with a pickup in Cairns. The Cairns visitors Center can help you with a more independent info on this decision... they are by the Lagoon. That way a day trip is fine and you don't have to stay the night on the water. Also heard Pro Dives are good.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 91
8. Re: Kuranda or Cape Tribulation

Low isles is close to shore, if you select a trip that goes out to the outer Barrier Reef, you won't be disappointed that is of course if you like snorekking. My tip is Wavelength.

I would select cape tribulation for a more eco, wilderness experience and Kuranda for a more tourist and tour type experience.