We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AZ.NY.
reviews: 12
When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

We are trying to plan our vacation, but are at a loss to when we should go. Please let us know when the rainy season is so we plan our trip accordingly.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 73
1. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

there is one major factor when talking about weather in these three places at once... there is over 200km between cairns and sydney and they have completely different climates.

I would pick sometime around april/may or september/october as the weather will be reasonably mild all round

december/january/february is disgustingly hot and humid in Brisbane, and even worse in Cairns (30Deg C is mild up there at that time) - it is also the wet season up north (though it has been years since we had decent rain in Brisbane. Sydney is also hot at this time of year, but is more prone to heat waves than brisbane and will have a few nice days and then a week of blistering heat.

june/july/august is a great time to visit the reef as the weather is warm and drier than summer and the risk of stingers is significantly reduced. however it will be cold in sydney and chilly in brisbane.

Balgal Beach Nth...
reviews: 9
2. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

Avoid school holidays where possible: http://www.oztourism.com.au/ozhols.htm

Climate statistics - something to ponder:

Cairns

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_031010.shtml

Brisbane

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_040214.shtml

Sydney

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_066062.shtml

I hate cold weather so am happy with summer. Others like the cold. The heavy rain season in the tropics (Jan-Mar) is spectacular so don't be too put off by that time of year.

Williams, Arizona
reviews: 17
3. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

We went in Nov 05 and it was great not too hot , cold or rainy and not overly packed with tourists. Slightly off season. You are going to love Cairns!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Georgia forgot a figure. It's 2500 kms from Cairns to Sydney. Imo all posters are right, there's always a time to visit Australia. We visited both februari/march/april and september/october/november. Best time to visit imo is september avoiding schoolholidays or october/november after schoolholidays if Cairns-Brisbane and Sydney are on your list. In october/november start Cairns and then Brisbane and Sydney. We also had stays in Cairns and Broome in october and november and had great weather, no rain, hot and a rather humid. But you never can tell, can you?

Tet

Sydney
reviews: 3
5. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

If I had a chocie I would start in Cairns in August, get to Brissy in October and then Sydney around Jan. But then again you may not have six months so.....

Almeria, Spain
reviews: 18
6. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

I´m visiing Nov/Dec to Cairns, Then to Brisbane, out for couple of weeks to NZ and back to Sydney. Like me let the weather gods decide for you, it will all be a great experience.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
7. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

I assume you are looking at a 2 or 3 week time frame. If so, I would also vote for September for visiting both Cairns and Sydney. The weather in both places should be good and you don't have to contend with school holidays. The advantages of going to Cairns in September are: 1) that the winds have died down and trips to the reef (e.g. for snorkeling) are better and 2) it's before stinger season (Nov - May, generally), so you can swim off the beach without worrying about stingers.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
8. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

I forgot to add that swimming off the beach is possible in Port Douglas and the beaches north of Cairns. There aren't beaches in Cairns itself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
9. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

September is beautiful in Nth Qld, and you can swim in the ocean without worrying about stingers.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth and Sydney. - all lovely in Summer and Spring.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s208/Sydney:A…

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 36
10. Re: When is the best time to visit Cairns, Brisbane,Sydney?

We're looking to visit mid-October. Can only swing 7 days, and most likely will be 3/4 in Sydney and the remainder in Cairns. Most interested in diving the GBF. In mid-Oct, is the water warm enough to do this? Other weather doesn't bother us (hot, humid, cold, rain as we get that all here in Florida) but want my one great dive trip to be as close to perfect as possible!

Thanks, and can't wait to get there!!