We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling around this area

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
reviews: 2
Snorkeling around this area

Could you please advise us about where to stay if we fly into Cairns for one week in early Aug. We are Gay couple and love to stay at a place where we can walk to great snorkeling and that is not very touristy.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 104
1. Re: Snorkeling around this area

I'd hire a car, or get on a tour up to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree rainforest. The forest comes right to the beach. I went snorkling with a company called Odessey O2 and another company recommended by a couple of people was called Rum Runner. Both departed from Cape Tribulation.

Also I just did a little Google search for you by typing in "gay friendly accommodation cape tribulation" and quite a lot of options popped up, so you should give that a try and see if any of those places suited you.

Have a nice holiday.

Australia
2. Re: Snorkeling around this area

Turtle Cove Resort located abot a 15 minute drive south of Port Douglas is the major Gay and Lesbial Resort in the area. Located right on the beach, which is quite secluded.

Snorkelling will be best done from the reef, there aren't too many spots up north where you can snorkel from the beach and see great coral. All boat operators pick up from Turtle Cove,their website is :

http://www.turtlecove.com/

Another popular one in the area is the Pink Flamingo in Port Douglas, although this one is not beachfront but great funky like accommodation and it does accept hererosexuals as well, about a 12 minute walk into town and about 7 minutes to the beach.Their website is :

www.pinkflamingo.com.au/resort/info.asp…

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 26
3. Re: Snorkeling around this area

Here's another vote for Cape Trib. I can't say anything about gay-friendly accommodation, but my snorkel trip with Rum Runners out of Cape Trib was far superior to the two other snorkel experiences I had in OZ. You will not be able to walk to great snorkeling anywhere. The good areas are on the outer reef. For pretty good snorkeling and a unique experience, try the overnight kayak trip to Snapper Island run by Crocodylus Village at Cape Trib. They supply all food, camping gear, kayak gear, a guide, and snorkel gear. All you have to bring is a bottle of wine to enjoy as you watch the sunset over the mainland.

Melbourne
reviews: 18
4. Re: Snorkeling around this area

As the others have said, there is no snorkelling from the beaches. You need to go out on a boat way off shore to snorkel and see the barrier reef.

5. Re: Snorkeling around this area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 03, 2009