We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything to see in main city centre?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yateley, United...
reviews: 50
Anything to see in main city centre?

I am flying into Brisbane from Sydney and have free accomodation at Coolum Beach.

Am wondering if there is anything worth seeing in Brisbane city itself as to whether its worth me staying there 1 day or just going straight to my base at Coolum.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 90
1. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

Brisbane is a nice city with plenty to see and do, however i would chose a coastal location over any city.

Australia
reviews: 7
2. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

Southbank is worth a look.....www.visitsouthbank.com

It has "Streets Beach" (a man made beach with lagoons and tropical surroundings, Parklands, Weekend markets,Little Stanley St restaurants, cafes and shops, Art galleries and museums.

Perth WA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

And if you're there on a weekend Southbank also has a good arts & crafts market.

Caloundra, Australia
reviews: 9
4. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

Lived there for 25 years and the short answer to your question is no. There is nothing to see in Bris that you have not already seen in Sydney. It is just a basic city that has a really brown river and a few buildings. It has nothing on Sydney. Just go straight to Coolum.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
5. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

Yes it is a basic city however thats the way we like it. It is still known as a nice clean city and for its friendly people.

Sadly that is quickly changing as the polulation grows and the infrastructure is not keeping up, traffic is becoming a nightmare well for us Brisbaneites anyhow.

Did you know the brown river was claused by dredging over the years, many of the old timers have told me of clean water, swimming areas and sandy beaches. Now that dredging has stopped upstream, the river is again starting to clean itself up, sure it will take many years, however it is noticeable.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 73
6. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

the water in the river is silty, but not polluted. I was a rower in previous years and during summer training we would swim off the pontoons opposite coronation drive to cool down. Never had any ill side affects from it, though we were very cautious of going in the water if the fish were jumping (plenty of bull sharks use the river to get to their breeding grounds up stream - never swim in the brisbane river once you get past sherwood.... we have seen lots of sharks up around the moggill reaches of the river)

Caloundra, Australia
reviews: 9
7. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

I love that you guys are defending the brown river! Sorry I didn't mean to offend - I love Brisvegas! However, as a tourist destination it is a bit average and has nothing on the Coolum - we have sparkling aqua blue water and it's far less busy with very few trafic problem - just the way we like it!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
8. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

No offence taken, I love the Sunshine coast as well.

9. Re: Anything to see in main city centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 20, 2009