We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

Hi

We are a couple who are intending to travel from Brisbane to Cairns in oct for 10 days, I was just wondering would it be better to go by camper van or pick up a car and book motels/hotels along the way, with camper van i was thinking that you know your budget/have bed for night/flexibility-i am a worrier by nature so have visions if we got a car that we might not get a hotel some night! Car might be more comfortable? I have never stayed in a camper van and wondering would they be cramped for the typical 2 berth maui/britz campervans? Thanks for advice in advance...ps we are on honeymoon but spoiling ourselves in luxury hotels in other locations

SUNSHINE COAST...
reviews: 128
1. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

One word CAR

October is not peak season, you will have no problems getting a motel. Allow $ 100 a night.

www.racq.com.au

www.qhx.com.au

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 21
2. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

I'm also a worrier, and I can relate to the uncertainty of not having a hotel. But I'd go with the car.

Camper vans use a lot more fuel, so you really won't know exactly how much this is going to cost you. And when I've looked into camper vans myself, it's usually more expensive than a car rental and nightly hotels, not including gas.

Don't forget that you'll usually have to pay a fee at the campground where you park, and you may have just as much trouble finding a spot to park as a hotel.

I saw one post on here where the poster mentioned getting the camper all set up for the night, then realizing you need to make a run to the store, so yo gotta pack everything else up.

Where else are you going for your honeymoon?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 89
3. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

There is no point in having a campervan f you want to spoil yourselves in luxury for your honeymoon. Hire a car for comfort and just roll into a motel each night.

Melbourne
reviews: 9
4. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

I would go with a car for economy, comfort and ease. Motels are plentiful & another option for saving a few $$$ are onsite cabins in caravan parks. Caravan parks often have prime beachfront locations and we have found them to be a great alternative.

Balgal Beach Nth...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

Have a look at this site and join the forum where you can talk with a whole bunch of like minded people http://www.motorhomesaustralia.net/

Plenty of free camping spots in North Qld and most are located near good fishing and waterfalls, so a motorhome is a very good option for a couple "still in love". Get one with a toilet. And the ones I've seen are well set out and comfortable. Another upside is you'll get a great view of the road and drive at a pace which suits sightseeing. Downside is they restrict you once you set up so you've got to enjoy walking.

Accommodation is not cheap anymore. A cabin at a caravan park in a tourist spot is getting over $150/night these days. Diesel motorhomes will cost the same in fuel as a standard family size rent-a-car. So the cost between the options probably won't vary too much but you can do the maths in a spreadsheet if funds are tight.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

We have stayed a lot in caravan park cabins (both in oz and o/s) and they did once represent very good value - but now we find that they are no longer very cheap plus you have to often provide your own linen and also go out of the caravan park to find eating options so we have all but given up on them especially given that very often the beds and the bathrooms are not as pleasant as those in motels.

I think they are still much cheaper for a family especially if you need two motel rooms- but for couples its very borderline.

I would definitely choose car and low price motels over a camper van from the comfort point of view unless you are planning an outback experience.

ireland
7. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your opinions, I feel now that I am swaying towards hiring a car as they seem to represent good value compared to camper van hire, on further research of motels and campervan parks it seems you can get reasonable accomodation for approx $100 a night and as its low season (i didn;t realise this at the time) there seems to be good availability, in reply to earlier poster we are also going to sydney, fiji, new york , san francisco and london on our honeymoon also..

8. Re: Campervan Versus Car- Brisbane to Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 13, 2009