We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Hi All, I will be travelling with my family, 2 old folks, my husband and cousin plus my little girl 3yrs + from 22nd Feb 2014 to 1st March 2014 (6 in total). Flying back on 2nd March.

We are planning to drive up to Bundaberg from Brisbane. Trying to find out the best way of travelling. My husband is thinking of renting a motorhome to experience the coastal drive. Can you advise on the pros and cons of travelling by car, rail or motorhome?

Besides that, do you have any recommendations as to our intinerary? Arrive in Brisbane on 22nd Feb and should be taking possession of the vehicle and commence trip. For trip up to Bundaberg, should be around 4 days. If we were to come back via road to Brisbane, we might not have any time left to explore Brisbane. What is your advice such that we can see more in the 8 days we are there?

Thanks!

Dawn

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
1. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

6 people including 2 "old folks" and 1 youngster requiring a child seat? >>My husband is thinking of renting a motorhome to experience the coastal drive.<< The lot of you and all your luggage trundling along enjoying the highway and listening to each other snore all night in the heat? Has he really thought it through? There's times and places, but this doesn't sound like it. I'd suggest flying but in this case I don't think it works for the route and the places you're likely to want to stop and see? So I'd want to make the driving as short and comfortable as possible for everyone.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 55
2. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

The other thing to think about is that there isn't a lot of coastal road between Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and the Sunshine Coast to Bundaberg. The Bruce Highway is inland from the coast so you would need to turn off it to get to places like Rainbow Beach and Hervey bay.

Oscar

Oz
reviews: 31
3. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Hi,

The road trip from Brisbane to Bundaberg whilst on the Bruce/Pacific Hwy No1 isn't on the coast. You have to detour off the hwy, some times for an hour or so, to reach the coast.

With a tribe like yours, you will need a child or booster seat for the little one and all must be wearing seat belts I would forget the Motor Home and rent a "people mover".

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
4. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Agree- ditch the van and go for motels in exactly the places you want to stay.

There are far too many of you to sleep inconditions which are are not cramped. It will warm as well with 6 people in there.

Have you researched some places that interest you? better to do this and then we can provide some feedback , rather than hoping for someone to give you an itinerary as we dont really know what interests you at all.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 29
5. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

I agree that a motorhome is not a good idea for a group that big. You would need a small people mover with plenty of luggage space. Staying overnight in Motels you would probably need 3 rooms each night, depending on the room configerations.

As advised the highway does not follow the coast and you need to turn off to visit the interesting places. With an allowance of 4 days for what is a short distance you should have a comfortable time.

Suggested places to look at include Caloundra/Maroochydore/Noosa; Beerwah; Nambour; Maryborough; and inland from Bundaberg, Childers.

For a quick trip back to Brisbane, the train is best. There are 2 high speed services a day. www.queenslandrail.com.au

Have an enjoyable trip.

Buderim, Australia
reviews: 15
6. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

People mover plus motels should do it. Not sure why your destination is Bundaberg unless you're a rum collector. I'd be going to the Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba - Noosa) , Hervey Bay to do a tour of Fraser Island and going on past Bundy to Agnes Water to do a day trip to Lady Musgrave Island to see the GBR.(see my reviews) As others have said - there's nothing to see from the highway. If any time left do a day tour of Brisvegas but a city is a city.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 27
7. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

If you intend on hiring a standard large car, you may find that 6 people in total with heavy luggage will not comfortably fit with having a required child booster sit for your little girl. Therefore if it’s a car/minivan you wish to hire, I suggest hiring 2 smaller cars and stay at motels/hotels on route.

A Motorhome for 6 people in total would suffice as an alternative as they provide sitting restraints for children 3years and under.

For example only:

britz.com.au/campervans-australia/Pages/fron…

To travel by Rail; even though I like rail travel myself, this would be the least appealing as you’d have to consider timetables in which they do arrive late at night along this route, from Brisbane to Bundaberg.

Driving time from Brisbane Airport to Bundaberg = approx. 4 hrs 20 minutes

Scenery along the Bruce Hwy is pleasant enough and although as mentioned you will have to make detours into townships along this route if you want to see the coastline – the ocean. Naturally there are small towns, Service Stations for fuel at which you could stop and stretch your legs without making detours off the Highway.

For me; my favourite stop along this route would have to include visiting Hervey Bay via Maryborough some 3 hours from Brisbane. Bundaberg is then a 2 hour drive further north from there.

Once in Bundaberg you will have a smaller window of opportunity to see the Logger Head Turtles hatching and treat yourself to the Barrier Reef by taking a cruise to Lady Musgrave for the day.

Cheers Angie

Edited: 5:50 pm, December 17, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice! My husband is quite adamant on a motor home. Will try to convince him. May I know what's a people mover? I do not heard of that term in Singapore.

My planned itinerary is as follows:

22nd Feb - 24th Feb: Stay within Brisbane to explore places like Tangalooma and the city by means of Mirimar cruises

25th Feb - 26th Feb: Set off to Hervey Bay and Fraser Island

27th Feb - 28th Feb: Bundaberg

1st Mar: Make our way back to Brisbane (not sure to use the road or fly or rail?)

That's my tentative idea, any comments?

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
9. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Yes- I think it will be a mistake!!

Where are you staying at Hervey or Fraser. You have only allocated two nights for that whole part of the trip - not stopping in Noosa, Australia Zoo or anything for the kids?

People mover is a larger car with 6-8 seats and luggage space. Much more comfortable and everyone will have a view. IN the Van - You will not all get a good view of the outside.

Have you booked camp grounds ? You cant just pull up anywhere and stop.

Fly back.

Ballina, Australia
reviews: 27
10. Re: Travel by car, rail or motorhome up to Bundaberg

Hi Dawnkie, a people mover is like a small bus. They have seats for 8/10 people. A couple of points in regard to the motorhome..... don't hire it when you first arrive. Explore Brisbane, then hire the vehicle when you are ready to begin your trip and you can't leave it in Bundaberg, you must return the motorhome to Brisbane