We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Zoo

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Australia Zoo

Happy April Fools' Day!

Just a quick question: anyone here ever been to the Australia Zoo? It looks very pretty and unique, I will be there in October, can't wait! I'd like to hear any experiences, stories, etc. you may have.....thanks much!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
1. Re: Australia Zoo

There are a few threads here about the zoo. Some of the consensus is good and some bad. It is quite expensive entry fee for what it is (my opinion) but if you can look past that it's a nice enough day. If you are going to Sydney Taronga Zoo is cheaper, bigger and has better shows.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
2. Re: Australia Zoo

Type Australia zoo into the search field and you will see a lot of discussion about it. Personally I found it a bit meh, haven't been to taronga zoo but think even Melbourne zoo is better value than it.

Miami Beach, Florida
3. Re: Australia Zoo

Ok I will thanks

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 113
4. Re: Australia Zoo

I have been - it is not a bad Zoo with quite a wide range of animals and displays to check out. It is not a cheap day out especially if you have a family - food is pretty crazy prices so maybe think about taking some snacks in with you. All-in-all not a bad day out.

I can't say I have been to that many Zoo's but my preference of the ones I have been to would actually be for Dubbo Zoo in New South Wales (about 10 hours drive from Brisbane).

Cheers and happy travels

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
reviews: 27
5. Re: Australia Zoo

Well, I have been to Australia Zoo quite a few times and while it may be slightly more expensive than Taronga and Melbourne - I believe it is better than both and presents excellent value for money.

The shows at Australia Zoo are more plentiful and better organised as well.

If you took the view away from Taronga - you really wouldn't bother.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
6. Re: Australia Zoo

Depending on what you decide to do there is also Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, it's close to Brisbane, smaller but much better value (in my opinion only) If it's native wildlife you are interested in this is also a great place to see it.

http://www.koala.net/

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
7. Re: Australia Zoo

Yeah i recently went to Lone Pine again after going there as a kid and it was really good value for money. And you can hold a koala and get your photo taken for only $16. The boat cruise there from the city is really lovely too. I found it was a really great day out (i'm a local too!)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 44
8. Re: Australia Zoo

If you happen to be going to Victoria I would recommend either Melbourne Zoo or Healesville Sanctuary over Australia Zoo. If not I would take the Lone Pine suggestion.

I am not a fan of 'shows' at zoos. Also the marketing at Australia Zoo is very in your face, it gets quite irritating.

Gold Coast
9. Re: Australia Zoo

Australia Zoo is ok - the best bit is the wide open area where you can pat Kangaroos. You should go because this is the zoo Steve Irwin started. It meant everything to him. Sometimes Bindi or Terri make an appearance or Wes so there's still the connection to Steve... but there are lots of experiences around the zoo where you had to pay money - and that annoyed me a little. For example, take your photo with a bird, and pay, feed an animal, and pay. It really is as Shaz says "in your face." Go with low expectations. Boat cruise to Lone Pine is definitely a better option, but its not 'the steve irwin zoo'. October is beautiful weather in Brissie too. If you get to Brissie end of Sept you will see Riverfire. This is spectacular! (29th Sept 2013).

Queensland...
10. Re: Australia Zoo

It is the zoo that Steve started, but having been both before his death and after, I don't think it is the same place that it was when he was alive.

Back then, it was a reasonably priced family day out, with a personal feel and little extras that really impressed me at the time (eg keepers walking around with animals to show the kids).

Wasn't so impressed by the visit a few years later (after Steve's death). The cost was at least 50% more, and there was (literally) merchandising next to every exhibit. None of the personal touches any more, and information about what was on when was totally lacking, so it was hard to plan where to go when.

Needless to say, we don't plan on visiting again as it's a very expensive day out for what it is.