We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floods

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 122
Floods

Hi all

Just an update on our conditions over here.

Some of Queensland and into Northern New South Wales are in flood. Tourists have been stranded in northern townsof Queensland, some towns are closed in northern New South Wales and we are now looking at the beachside areas. Even Brisbane has local flooding.

Do not try to drive across waterways or flooded bridges, our Emergency Service is not impressed, trying to rescue these people while they are trying to evacuate others from properties.

We have had the wettest 3 weeks. Great to break the major drought we had endured, but now has caused 1 billion in damages.

A wild and fast storm came through very quickly and unannounced yesterday, blowing trees onto houses in a neighbouring outer suburb of Brisbane. We all pray for a break in the heat at Xmas but this is ridiculous!

Be careful if travelling ...take in a movie or shop at the sales...forget the surf for now.

Moreton Island...
reviews: 70
1. Re: Floods

And please please check the road conditions before you do any road travel to Queensland!!

racq.com.au/travel/…road_conditions

Many roads are cut by floods. And heavy rain makes it dangerous to drive. Currently we are experiencing strong winds on the coast in SE Qld.

I've noticed a few posts on the Australia forum from people asking about travelling by road from say "Sydney to Cairns" in the next few days.....and I find it so annoying that they'd even contemplate driving, as it appears that they haven't even read the news nor checked the weather conditions up here currently!!!

So please check before leaving.

Tenterfield...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Floods

It took us 24hrs to do a 2 1/2 hr drive home from brisbane over monday/tuesday. The roads are a mess and there are a lot of travellers in the same predicament. I was impressed by the attitude and patience of the other drivers but i was less impressed with the lack of information available - there were very few people "in charge" and no signs or barricades etc... trying to find your way around detours was a case of the blind leading the blind most of the time if there was a detour available... We relied greatly on the locals particularly at Warwick.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
3. Re: Floods

My daughter is currently vacationing in Sydney and they were planning to come to Brisbane on Tuesday. They are planning to go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and sand tobagonning on Moreton Island.

How bad is it in Brisbane.? Should she just stay in Sydney?

thanks

Moreton Island...
reviews: 70
4. Re: Floods

It's not flooded in Brisbane, in fact we have had 2 sunny hot days, however it's raining lightly at the moment. (Saturday morning. NY's day) The forecast is for showers on and off this coming week, with temps of low 22c high 28c. Showers are ok, cools down the heat!

She should be ok if she is flying in. Hopefully no heavy rain again....

Happy New Year

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 45
5. Re: Floods

The rain that effected Brisbane last week as well as the rest of Queensland was brought about by a tropical low pressure system that had earlier been classified as a low category cyclone. It has now dissipated and the rain we are experiencing is minor. As lifetraveller mentioned we are now back to showers and the flood waters have not effected Brisbane to the degree it has the Central West of the state. Queensland is roughly the same size as Texas.

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 122
6. Re: Floods

Hi all

Yes Brisbane is now free of flood waters. My nephew was flooded in for three days just around the corner from me. We are in a catchment area between Brisbane City and the Gold Coast...an outer Brisbane suburb.

It took only one morning for the flood water to completely disappear.

Today is overcast with fine drizzle. It is mainly the people in far outlying areas through the central and coastal areas above Brisbane that are now affected in Queensland. Flying in and staying in Brisbane will be no problem. Lone Pine is not far away from the city centre.

I felt for those people put out of their homes or stranded last night, while about 6million in fireworks were set off in just one city and people celebrated the NY.

Niec

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 26
7. Re: Floods

Oscar,

Small adjustment to your calcs may be needed methinks...

Queensland is c.715,000 sq. miles, whereas if you include a few surrounding states around Texas, including...

Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri and Mississippi into account, in total they equate to roughly the same ...720,000 sq.miles.

Texas (on it's own) is about 269,000 sq. miles...only about 37% the size of Qld.

I may be wrong, and if I am, I am sure someone will indicate this to me, in no uncertain terms quite soon.

Cheers,

Rick

Cairns & PNG.

Edited: 9:11 pm, December 31, 2010
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 45
8. Re: Floods

I stand corrected madsdad. I checked it out on google before I posted. Re-checked and missed the part about Texas being a third of the size of Queensland. Just trying to give fly619 a size variation in US terms and you have done that perfectly.

Oscar

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 26
9. Re: Floods

No worries Oscar,

We're all apparently allowed one glitch per year, and because that one was from yesterday, we'll count it as last years', so you're now reset to 1 again.

Anyhow, whichever way you look at that amount of water, it's still newsworthy....wherever it is.

I'm working at 3,000m up in the "hills" here, so if I start getting my feet wet, I feel sure that folk, anywhere in OZ, will be in a tad more bother than they might care for.

Cheers mate,

Rick

Cairns & PNG

Edited: 11:04 pm, December 31, 2010
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
10. Re: Floods

I was astounded to hear on the news last night that apparently the flood affected areas in Queensland equate in size to France and Germany.