We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper or hotel

Which Queensland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toulouse, France
reviews: 3
Camper or hotel

Hello all,

I have spent a little time looking around the forums and have found the advice really helpful. Hopefully you can all provide me with a little help on a few questions to which I have not been able to find a clear answer.

I am getting to Brisbane at the beginning of March with the plan to explore the coast to the north. I generally prefer not to pre-plan an itenerary because sometimes you find a spot with great people or something extra-ordinary that merits staying an extra day.

My first plan was to hire a small camper but even there the feedback on Britz/Mighty, Apollo, Juicy, or Envy is mixed.

There is a massive price difference ($850 to $1600 for 2 weeks). Feedback on Apollo generally seems to be that they have poorly serviced and really budget vehicles. I have rented from Britz in the past and had no problems but it is difficult to justify almost double the price. Is there anyone who is able to compare the two?

I am pretty tall so I doubt that fitting into a Juicy is going to be too comfortable. Finally Envy looked pretty reasonably priced, but when I look up their address in Google Earth, I land up in an up-market residential part of Brisbane - which has me really worried that there are scammers out there?

Returing to my original question - doing a little bit of maths, I can either rent a camper for 100 dollars a day, or rent a car for around 60 dollars a day. I'll spend a little less on petrol I suppose but given that I will have to pay for camp site at around 40 dollars a day, that means that if I can find hotels for around 80 dollars a day, I would break even.

Here in France, out of tourist season I would have no problem finding a hotel room at around 80 dollars. Apparently this does not seem to be the case up north of Brisbane.

SO? Should I go for a slightly more expensive camper and campsites or shell out a little more for a hotel ? I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Graeme

PS - I hope that by the time I get there things will have dried out a little. It's made the news this side of the world and we really feel for those families that are homeless at the moment!

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
11. Re: Camper or hotel

Donna, why not cabins?

Toulouse, France
reviews: 3
12. Re: Camper or hotel

Hi all,

Thanks for your excellent advice. I am not unfortunately back home after a lovely trip around Aus.

I opted for hiring a car and bnb or youth hostel accomodation. It worked out perfectly for me as there were quite a few days of heavy rain and it was nice to have a little more space to spend indoors and not having to dash between camp and showers/toilets etc.

I would really recommend AirBnB as well as the YHA (youth hostel) web site. We stayed some great places that offer twin/double bed accomodation for the same price as it would cost to rent a camper.

I rented through VroomVroom which gets cheaper deals than going through the car rental web sites - which was also a great tip from TripAdvisor.

Only regret: I did not stay long enough !!

Thanks all

Graeme

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
13. Re: Camper or hotel

Glad you had a great trip! thanks for the update.

14. Re: Camper or hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2014