We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing the whitsundays

Which Queensland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Sailing the whitsundays

hi

i am hoping to go on a 3 day - 2 night sailing trip around the Whitsundays in Nov 05. Can anyone recommend a particular tour company and / or Boat. i have heard of the boat called Mollo - is it ok ?

any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Dublin
reviews: 24
1. Re: Sailing the whitsundays

i cant recommend any boat in particular but I will say that alot of travel agents offer package deals that include, say, a whitsundays trip and frasier island. seems like a good deal but my experience and that of my friends is that it is best to spend a bit of cash on your whitsundays trip.

we got the package deal and ended up on a tiny grotty boat that was designed to hold 20 people but had 30 on board. the weather was appaling and because there was too many people on board there wasnt enough room for all of us to sit below deck so we ended up sitting out in the lashing rain for 3 days getting very sick. our beds were teeny tiny and sooo damp and smelly, the food was awful and the diving 'equipment' they supplied boarded on life-threatening. other friends who did the package deals got different boats but the same experience ie you get what you pay for!

my advice so is spend some cash, get a big boat with decent crew, good food and ample facilities. avoid sailing on the crackerjack!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 21
2. Re: Sailing the whitsundays

Do you remember what the name of your boat was? I would think it would be possible to (unintentionally) book the grotty boats directly as well as in a package. If you could help us avoid that it would be much appreciated.

Dublin
reviews: 24
3. Re: Sailing the whitsundays

it was called the crackerjack, but it was just one of many many tiny inadequately equipped boats taking tourists around the whitsundays. these awful boats are invariably booked through all-in packages along with other trips to frasier or kepple islands etc. so when you book the package you dont know which boat you are booking. like i said book it your whitsunday trip seperately, get a good look at a brochure so you know exactly which boat you are getting and i would pay a bit extra for some luxury - there is NOTHING cool about spending three days in a sardine can! especially if the weather is bad!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
4. Re: Sailing the whitsundays

It depends if you guys/girls can sail or not!!Nov is not a good time because of stingers in ocean,its hot...but then again you can island hop to differnt islands and use pool facilities if you pay a fee.South Molle is the best if on a budget.Hayman Island forget it..cost $200AUD to moor for day.Daydream Island okay to use facilities but over the top in decore etc..Lindemans my sons just sneaked in..had swim and left whilst anchored offshore.(boys will be boys)

For hiring yacht I suggest you use sunsail.Its the most used company in whitsundays.

www.sunsailwhitsun.htm they will be able to offer all good advice to you.We have own yacht so dont do hiring..but what i do know is that you see sunsail everywhere, so i am guessing its a good company and the boats looked well equiped with safety.(important)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
5. Re: Sailing the whitsundays

We've been out a Sunsail Charter and had a great day..beautiful cat..

I know quite a few people have been looking at Mollo but can't get any feedback from them.

If it's any consolation the visit to Blue pearl on hayman can be an excellent site for dive/snorkel.