We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

Hi.

I have the opportunity to go to Darwin either in the last week of November or in the first week of March.

What would you prefer? I have heared that November is very hot and humid and there is a lot of rain in March.

I love nature and want to go to national parks (probably with organized tours)

When will be more roads and facilities open? And what about nature? I guess in March there will be more flowers?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 41
1. Re: End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

It really depends on what sort of wet season we have. This year is showing all the signs of an early wet, but you never really can tell.

Typically Nov is the worst season weather wise - very high humidity and little or no rain to bring relief. Locals call it the Build Up or Troppo Season as it can turn even us a little loopy. Having said in Nov there has usually not been enough rain to start shutting roads so accessibility is better. Also if you are lucky you may catch an amazing lightening storm.

March is wetter and while it is still humid the weather is not as trying. Some places will be inaccessible, however there are a few spots, like Gubara Pools or Motorcar Falls at Kakadu that come into there own at that time of year - a number of the guided tours will take you to these places. Litchfield is pretty much always accessible and the waterfalls should be in good flow, however swimming spots are limited. Scenically it is better as the landscape is greener and yes, there are more flowers.

Hope this helps you decide.

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 63
2. Re: End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

ohhh tricky one.

I would say yes Match is greener- but November potentially we wont have had the rain that shuts things down for months.

If you do a tour - then November - camping would be out as it would be in March. wayyyy to hot and rain.

Its really a toss up as to if we have had the rain that closes access to falls etc.

Two of the main issues are access via gravel roads deteriorates but also crocs move into areas when they flood like Wangai in Litchfield to name but one place.

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 36
3. Re: End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

I would say March. November's weather is pretty horrible, and although there may be storms in Nov, the rain won't have really set in yet so everything will still be pretty dry and brown.

Most places would be accessible in March on certain tours - a lot of the buses up here are 4wd so can access a lot of places in wet season. Unless we get a monsoon or cyclone while you are here, you should be pretty right. Most of Litchfield will be accessible. Depending on the weather, some of Kakadu will be closed, but again, may be accessible on certain tours.

4. Re: End of November or Beginning of March in Darwin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014