We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Hi, my cousin is coming out from Austria and is planning to drive from Alice springs to Adelaide at the beginning of February. I am worried it is the wrong time of the year to undertake a trip like that. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

It will be hot. Hope the car is air conditioned.

Your cousin will be fine.Thousands of people do this drive every day.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Carry lots and lots of water. Have a well-maintained car. If it's a hire car, be prepared to pay through the nose for a one-way fee.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Thanks for the quick replies! A travel agent in Austria planned the itinerary for him, I don't think they have any idea of Australian distances and temperatures! Any other tips are much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

The Austrian travel agent may also be unaware that the country between Alice Springs and Adelaide is mainly featureless desert. Your cousin will be looking at some 1500 km of country much like this: nickbooth.id.au/Outback11/images/d5deserthig…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 141
5. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

When your cousin is in Alice Springs then get from the Tourist Information Centre the booklet about the Stuart Highway. Yes it is a long way to drive and it will be hot but there are some interesting places to see on the way, Coober Pedy and Woomera being 2 of them.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 56
6. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Sounds like a fun trip...

make sure to take something to keep him awake :P

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

Read this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255063-s301/Alice-Sp…

and FOLLOW this advice. Ignoring it can be deadly.

8. Re: Drive from Alice springs to Adelaide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2014