We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo
reviews: 14
Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

We are a family of 4 and coming from Darwin to Alice Springs and on to Yulara in July in a Camper Van. Is this a good way to travel and see the region on a budget.

Need advise on a good route and stops for about 3 nights

Other option is to drop the camper van and use a car/small SUV and stay at lodges/cabins/motels.

We heard it gets very cold in July.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
31. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Camry is a good option over corolla for 4 ...my hire of choice when looking at mainstream

good luggage space and my preference over the Aussie commode and falcon in terms of luggage space.

no way will you do $2700 in cost (just dontl stay at sails and book early, 3 nights at uluru..etc

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
32. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

<<Camry is a good option over corolla for 4 ...my hire of choice when looking at mainstream>>

Yep me too .

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
33. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Hi Mabidally,

Some people do get upset over some items but in answer to your questions (I have been away so could not respond earlier) but in Kakadu the main areas are accessible by sealed roads. Only for Jim Jim Falls and Koolpin Gorge is a 4WD needed during the Dry season. If you are interested in say bird watching and venture of the sealed roads, some are quite ok, others are rather sandy so tyre pressure needs to be reduced, but whether you are in a 2 or 4 WD it is the same that you would do back home, get out and walk it first.

I have not met many of your countrymen in the remote regions but a few years ago at Borroloola I met one gentleman who would have been close to 70, driving a medium size 4WD with a pop up caravan who had driven across from Karumba, some rough tracks there but he took it carefully and he had a good time.

The road down to Alice Springs is good sealed, some of it was damaged in the last wet season so there are road works underway but a camary would have no problems.

May I suggest that when you are in Darwin that you visit the tourist Information centre in Bennett Street and obtain the information brochures that they have about the routes you planning on using. There are also good Information Centres which assist you in Katherine and Alice Springs.

Hope you enjoy your holiday here.

Edited: 7:58 am, June 22, 2012
Australia
reviews: 52
34. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Just could not resist coming in here. Thank you for all the info as my husband and I are traveling to the red centre just for a short break. Mabidally I am sure you will have an absolutely fantastic time and Nozzie, you are not an old lady because you are in the same age bracket as me and I don't consider myself old but one with lots of experience and sound advice so hold your head high and you go girlfriend.

Adelaide, Australia
35. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Thanks Forbes ;)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
36. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Just don't say LOL ;)

old age and experience beats youth and enthusiasm every time

Adelaide, Australia
37. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Hey GW I work within the older person care sector and we have to say "older people " now- NOT "old aged "

But I AM a senior and proud of it. Sure beats the alternative

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
38. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

age challenged?

so true..the alternative is too scary

Edited: 5:25 am, June 23, 2012
Australia
reviews: 52
39. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

My ,my Nozzie, I work in the aged care sector too! Surprise, surprise. That's why we are so youthful and gurus wife you have summed it up very well. Anyway, way off track here, but I do appreciate all the advice on tripadvisor and envy tour travel experiences.

sydney
reviews: 9
40. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock in July Camper Van

Great advice given by most of you. Did not read the ones that have been deleted but from the comments glad they were. I have travelled from NSW to Port Roper NT for the last 8 years. Experienced many different problems. Water in fuel, 14 punctures broken axle and spring from Sturt Highway to Port Roper on one trip. Fires last year whilst across Barclay Highway. Mini cyclone whilst out at the port. Absolutely love it. I have experience but am still cautious about the area.

Looking through these posts to arrange a trip from Alice to Darwin with Family next year September.

MABIDALLY Hope your trip was enjoyable. Please let us know how it went and where you went to.