We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ballynahinch, N...
reviews: 25
Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

My wife and I will be flying into to Ayers Rock at the end of March 2006 for a 4-5 day stay. I have not confirmed my flights and am wondering if Alice Springs would be a better base? I realise that we will be at both, but is Alice easier in terms of renting vehicles etc? We might be interested in renting a motorhome. Do those with that experience recommend the experienc, or should we simply take good lodging? There are obviously lots of organised tours, but is it generally better to rent a vehicle and'do your own thing?

Sydney Australia
reviews: 61
1. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

I prefer to do my own thing. Haven't tried the camper type option.

I don't think you'll have any trouble hiring from either Ayres Rock or Alice Springs at least for non-camper type vehicles. We flew in to AR and collected car, went Uluru Kata Tjuta through Kings Canyon and up on to Alice springs where we returned vehicle and flew out. It worked well and saves many hours driving back to same airport to leave.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
2. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

I wouldn't plan on spending 4 - 5 days in Uluru--it's too expensive and there's probably not enough to see and do there to justify that long of a stay. If you are flying into the airport there, I would suggest staying for 2 nights and then driving on to Kings Canyon (possibly) and Alice Springs and then flying out from Alice. However, be sure to have your car reservations before you leave. There are so many visitors to Uluru that you can't just pick up a car at the airport without a reservation. (We found out the hard way on our first trip there.) You will definitely want to have your own transportation as the accomodations at Uluru are in Yulara Village, a hefty drive from Uluru and the Olgas. On our first trip, we had to depend on tour companies which were both expensive and limited our experience. We got a car on our second trip and it was a much better experience!

Sydney Australia
reviews: 61
3. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

yes. Definitely pre book car and accommodation and Sounds of Silence dinner if you want to do that.

Ballynahinch, N...
4. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

... Thanks Snogde and Longhorn ... I'll probably change my destination to Alic Springs as there seems to be a better infrastructure. Also, a car rental seems a good idea as does reduction of 1 day, giving me more time elsewhere ...

Alice Springs...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

Hi,

I would suggest that you fly into Alice and as you do not have a lot of time i would go on an organised tour, you can do this for 1,2 or 3 days, 2 i think is enough, they pick you up from your hotel, drive so you can relax as it is along way and March is still very hot here, meals and accomadation inclusive also enterance fee to the Rock which is very expensive and you could also do a day tour of surrounding Alice which is beautiful.

I would suggest a company named ( Emu Run ) as they have a very good reputation and also I have sent other friends on this tour and they are very happy with the tour and the guides.

hope this helps you,

if you need any other help you may mail me

chefspta@bigpond.com.au

Kind regards,

Tracey.

Ballynahinch, N...
6. Re: Is Uluru just as suitable as Alice Springs as a base for a...

... Thanks Homer000red ... I may email you nearer the time ... cheers