We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 1
Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

I am travelling in a campervan from Alice to Broome and want places to stay/visit on the trip.

Any ideas?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Bump, local experts!

Ok, we did the drives but by car.

Don't forget to visit AS for a couple of days and see the gorges too.

Here some places along your route AS-Broome

1. Aileron: Historic Homestead. Roadhoude. Didnot stop ourselves.

2. Ti Tree: Waterhole 300 meters from the roadhouse.

Red Sand Art.

3. Barrow Creek. Telegraph Station. Roadhouse. I remember that bar with thousands of banknotes. Odd place.

4. Devils Marbels near Wauchope. Must stop. Stroll around the boulders.

5. Tennant Creek. The hub for the region. We stayed twice. Not impressed.

6. Three ways. John Flynn Memorial. Just a short stop. Roadhouse looked good.

7. Stuart Memorial. There's a short side road from there to Churchills Head. We have been looking for that but didnot find. Maybe better don't do this drive with a campervan although it's paved.

8. Renner Springs. Start of the Top End (they say). Roadhouse. Army hut

9.Elliot: Roadhouse and a nine holes golfcourse.

10.Newcastle Waters.Historic Store

11. Daly Waters. See the famous pub. Also an odd place. Also a pub at the roadhouse and the pumpstation, the only place in Aus we saw people smoke inside a public place.(no problems with that though) Local color., See the Jonh Stuart Tree (not much left but a historic place.)

12.Lahrimah. WWII hospital.

13. Mataranka: Thermal Pools. A must stop. See the flying foxes in the trees and fly out at dusk. Great camping. Don't miss Elsey NP.

14. Katherine. Stay a couple of days. Nice town. Maybe camp at Historic Springvale homestead and do a night croc tour. Also Cutta Cutta Caves, Katherine Gorge and Edith Falls. We stayed at the Four Seasons. Good restaurant and also upgraded campervan places with hookups and toilets.

15. Katherine-WA border: This is one of the best outback drives. Great landscapes. See Gregory NP, take a river cruise near Victoria River. If you have the time stay some days. We were sorry we could not stay longer. Also ridges and escarpments.

16. Kununurra. Much to see. See Mirima NP. (must)

Kelly's Knob. It's not a bargain but we took a 2.5 hours flight over Lake Argyle, Argyle Diamond mine and Purnululu NP (Bungle Bungle). This really was a fantastic experience. Also drive to Lake Argyle see the Dam and the lush picnic area.

17. Halls Creek. We visited China Walls. Bit disappointing and better not with a RV. Better give it a miss.

18. Fitzroy Crossing: Nice place to stay. Many sights but we stayed just for the night. Make a tour to Geikie Gorge.

19.Derby: Side trip. We just went to see Boab Prison Tree. Maybe only if you have the time.

20: Broome and Cable Beach. Fantastic. We'll be back.

The outbackdrive in WA also is one of the best. Also different landscapes. Huge termite mounds and Boab trees. Broome will be your reward after the looooong drives.

Enjoy your trip.I'm sure local experts will give you more details.

Tet

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
2. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Hi York

Which route are you planning to take? You have 4 choices .

1. Tanami TRack to Halls Creek and then west on the road via Fitzroy Crossing. Highlights - desert country and wolf Creek Crater - very remote you will need to carry extra tyres petrol and water. You can camp at Rabbit flat. We prefer to bush camp on this route

2. Tanami Track Halls Creek and then to Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge and on the Gibb River Road to Broome. Highlights as above and the gorges. You can camp at Windjana Gorge. Basic camp facilities -gorgeous scenery.

3. AS To Katherine to Kunnunnurra and then via the Gibb River road To Broome. Gibb River road is very rough. Amazing scenery - and if time take a flight over Mitchell falls. Lots of camping spots at El Questro, Emma Gorge, Jacks Waterhole, Mt House Station etc.

4. AS to Katherine to Kununurra and via main road to Broome. You could head out to the Bungles from Halls Creek. Camp at Victoria river , Kunnunnurra and Fitzroy Crossing (Geike Gorge)

I have done all 4- all offer something different. Depends on what you want to see and how much time you have and also the time of year for your trip.

Happy to provide more specific info for specific questions.

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

And sorry - Tets highlights are fine but really they are the tourist traps.

They are absolutely NOT the highlights of the Kimberley. To see those you have to get off the bitumen out of your air conditioned luxury sedan and rough it a bit - inclduing a bit of walking. Sorry Tet.

sydney
reviews: 6
4. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Windjana Gorge is one of my favourite places. The journey from Kununurra to Windjana along the Gibb River Road is wonderful. We bush camped (though maybe we shouldn't have). But you need to take the time of year into account. Not advisable in a campervan if there has been or is likely to be, RAIN!

Sounds like a wonderful trip and I'm jealous!

Cheers.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
5. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

OP was asking about travelling in a campervan and didnot mention anything about a 4wd campervan. Most rentalcies don't allow driving dirtroads and even if they do allow you'll need a special permit for Gibb River road. Also it's not allowed to drive dirtroads with a "luxury sedan". We have been on the paved roads and had a great time driving through the Outback and I would not call the visited places tourist traps. To me there's only one tourist trap in Australia: Monkey Mia.

Maybe see the definition of a tourist trap Nozzie.

Tet

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

A lot of hired campervans travel the Gibb River Road and most of the ones I see about everywhere are 4x4s. Britts, Hertz, Maui etc all hire 4x4 campers. We saw a lot of them in the north including travelling into the Bungles. Friends have taken hired campers all over Australia including GRR and crossed the Simpson Desert in one - and there isnt even a road there at all. Not sure what you mean about a permit to travel the GRR Tet. It is a public road.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
7. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Only can tell for Apollo and Maui:

Restrictions 4wd camper:

You'll need a written permit for:

Simpson Desert, Gunbarrel hw, Cape York, Oodnadatta track, Birdsville track, Tanami track, Gibb river road,Strzelecki track, Bungle Bungles and Plenty Hw.

etc.

I have the definitions right here on my desk because I'm interested in hiring one too.

Tet

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Still not sure what you mean by a "permit". yes you do need entry passes for some of those areas because they are in National Parks (eg Simpson Desert, Bungles etc) and yes you will need entry permits for indigenous communities in some places along the Gibb River road , Tana mi Track, Cape York etc etc. But if you dont go into them you dont need a permit.

I think you must be referring to restrictions those hire companies put on where you can take the vehicle- and that's fair enough but there are other options. Most of the camper vans are built on 4x4 chassis because they can take the load and what you mostly need on these roads /tracks is the clearance of a 4x4 rather than the need to engage all the wheels - although it can be handy to have it at times as we have found.

But that said we did take our 1986 Commodore on the Gibb River road the first time we went to the Kimberley in 1990.

Tet the point i was trying to make(probably very clumsily) is that the real Kimberley cannot be seen from the blacktop and if that's all you've seen you've very much missed the best parts and I wouldnt want other tourists to follow your itinerary and miss out too. Compared to places like Bell Creek Gorge, Manning gorge and mitchell Falls, places like Gekie Gorge and Mataranka are tourist traps.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
reviews: 23
9. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

OK - Time out you two!

Maybe Yorkyuk can let us know - do you intend to have a 4WD campervan or not. You will have picked up from the above discussion that the type of vehicle will determine where you can go. Let us know that, and we can then advise you on some good spots to visit on either route.

Either way, happy planning!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
10. Re: Places to stop over in a campervan Alice to Broome

Peace!!! No worries I'madesertgirl, Nozzie and I like to have a little forumdiscussion once and a while-lol- And yes, where are you Yorkyuk?

Tet