We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
reviews: 103
Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

Hi!

We are a family of 4 traveling to the Red Centre March 2008. Can anyone advise us the best method of transporting ourselves from Alice to Ayers? A one way car rental is expensive....I don't know that we necessarily want to take a tour to get there.

Any input is appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
1. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

I wil bump this up for NT experts.......

in the meantime look into my review which explains vogages.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g256205-d256…

basically, you can hire a car, or do a tour from AS.

I suggest you hire your own car, it works out cheaper.

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 103
2. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

Ellemay,

Thanks so much for the link to your review. We are staying at the Ayers Rock Campground in one of their cabin accomodations. It is sooooo expensive out there and for 3 nights seemed like a good option.

So, maybe look into having a car from Alice and the 3 days in Ayers....might be more cost effective.

Thanks again!

p.s. loved your rundown of the timing of your stops.

Alice Springs
3. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

Hello,

I have a couple of suggestions that may be of some help:

Alice Campndrive or Wicked Campers.

Please find the following links for your reference:

www.alicecampndrive.com

www.wickedcampers.com.au

All the best with everything, and I hope this may be what you are looking for.

May you have a great holiday.

Australia
reviews: 4
4. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

You might get a good car hire deal if you are prepared to reverse your journey. Pick up vehicle from Ayers Rock and drive to Alice Springs. Everyone has the exact same idea as you which often makes for a big logjam at the Rock. The hire car companies have to truck their vehicles back to Alice at significant cost. Sometimes it is possible to get really good one way deals Ayers Rock to Alice for this fact. Usually you would need to deal direct with the Alice Springs office or Hertz or Avis.

travelnt.com/en/…red-centre-way.htm

Alternatively if you are a family of 4, a private charter might work out economical from Alice Springs to Uluru via Kings Canyon over 3 days. You pay for the vehicle and guide as a lump sum rather than 4 x the rate in a general tour. You might be able to get something for about $1000AUD per day (accommodation extra). Suggest following small local operators: www.outbackprivatetours.com.au, www.rttrousaustralia.com.au, www.wayoutback.com.au, www.alicespringsholidays.com.au

Williams, Arizona
reviews: 17
5. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

We took a bus from Alice to Ayers Rock . its a nice trip and you stop at a camel farm along the way. The bus also played a movie on the local people and the history of the area on your way out there. It wasn't that bad of a trip think its 5-6 hr long but you don't notice it. We had 4 people as well no problems.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
reviews: 23
6. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

Hi,

Check out the post "Stops between Alice and Uluru" (can't post a link that long - sorry) that details some of the possible stops along the way if you finish up doing the self drive.

Having your own vehicle down there certainly gives you more freedom and will work out a lot cheaper than 4 of you taking tours.

7. Re: Alice Springs to Ayers Rock Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 11, 2009