We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel search continues

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA-Florida
hotel search continues

Does anyone know about the Check Inn in Glebe? Is it a convenient neighborhood to the sights for adults to manage? How far to the sights from this area - in travel time that is?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
1. Re: hotel search continues

It's located in the Sydney University Precinct, lots of good cheap eats in the area. Also lots of students so be prepared for Fri and Sat night partying in th local restaurants.

Transport to CBD is by bus..walk up to parramtta rd for more frequent service. It's about 10mins to central rail and possibly 30 mins to the Quay (traffic and time of day).

USA-Florida
2. Re: hotel search continues

How long would it take us to get around - like to the Zoo, The Rocks, Hyde Park etc. Do you think it would be too noisy for 4 adults who will probably fall down exhausted in bed after our days of touring???? Thanks in advance.

Sydney
reviews: 4
3. Re: hotel search continues

Hi, again, chawklit!

I'll let guruswife talk about the noise factor, as she knows the particular hotel (or is it a hostel?) and I don't; however, even though you CAN walk from Glebe and the University into the city, most people would catch a bus. It's not far.... maybe twelve minutes to the Town Hall, from where you can walk to Hyde Park in another two (it's not like Hyde Park in London, you know.... you won't want to spend much time in it! If you want to see a real "park", then Centennial Park is the place to head). A further ten minutes on the same bus will have you at Circular Quay, the starting-off point for ferries to the zoo and for all the other places you mentioned.

Frankly, unless you were getting a rate that is too good to pass up, I think I'd be looking at something a bit closer in. How about the Criterion in Park Street? It's not a palace, it's a REAL budget choice, but the innkeepers are friendly, it's in a great location, and I can't imagine the Check-Inn would come in much cheaper! (You'll tell me if I'm wrong?) Check out the Criterion's web-site: www.gdaypubs.com.au/sydneycity/criterion/. It doesn't give you the rates, but not too long ago a double room was about $AUD60. You share a bath at that rate, but since it's not well-known as a tourist hotel, you may well find that there's no one else there to share it with!

You are across the road from the Monorail to Darling Harbour. One block north is the Pitt St shopping mall. One block east is Hyde Park. One block south is the cinema strip, beyond which is Chinatown. One block west is the Town Hall and the Queen Victoria Building. A few steps will have you at Town Hall Subway Station, in which complex is a Woolworth's supermarket, one of the cheapest places in Sydney to buy hot food (you could snack in your room). Can the Check-Inn at Glebe possibly offer all these advantages?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
4. Re: hotel search continues

To be perfectly honest I have never stayed at a hotel in the area, only partied or eaten. I would imagine the Criterion might be a bit noisier because it's in the CBD . The walk from Glebe to the CBD is quite a hike, even in my younger fitter days when we couldn't afford a bus ticket down from the University.

If you really want to be closer to transport I don't think you can go past the rocks.

From the Quay the Zoo is 10-15mins by ferry (add 30mins max for bus trip) the rest is no more than 10 mins away.) I think the eating options around Glebe really make it a more appealing area to stay. However if you stay at the Criterion you can always catch a bus up to Glebe or Newtown for great value cheap eats.

USA-Florida
5. Re: hotel search continues

thanks again - it's great to get such help. Is Glebe safe? We are aged 55-67 years - the address is 146 Glebe point Road and the rate now is $88. for a queen room.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
6. Re: hotel search continues

I would consider Glebe safe. I certainly walk around it by daylight alone. I don't like walking anywhere by night alone and this includes my very safe local area, but I'd have no hesitation to walk around the area with the Guru or other friends..even female.

USA-Florida
7. Re: hotel search continues

which area would you recommend for easy access to the city highlights - most are soooooo much money.

Sydney
reviews: 4
8. Re: hotel search continues

Chawklit, Guruswife already mentioned that the Rocks is the best area for staying just near the city's highlights. Just about all of Sydney's highlights are clustered around the harbour, and the Rocks is the area which actually looks at the harbour. It's practically under the Harbour Bridge! But, of course, there's a big premium to pay for staying in the best area! The cheapest place I know to stay in the Rocks is an old hotel named the Palisade.... when I asked last (about a year ago) a double room there was $AUD118. It has a website (www.palisade.com) if you want to check it out.... great location, even harbour and bridge views, but I warn you it's no oil painting!

Another hotel that may come in at around the same price is the Mercantile.... but it's likely to be a bit rowdy, as it's primarily a drinking pub.

The only other area which is close to the city's highlights (the non-harbour ones, that is) is the Town Hall area, which is near the lovely Queen Victoria Building, the cinema strip, the Pitt St shopping mall, and Hyde Park. Hotels are cheaper there, but it's a good twenty-five minute walk to the water's edge.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
9. Re: hotel search continues

As Alan said I feel the rocks or at least that end of the CBD is best..that's why it's the most expensive. To get to most sights you leave from the harbour end of town.

Just a hint on how sometimes i justify or calcualte whether a few extra$$ on accom is worthwhile.

1. How much did it cost me to get there and back..divide by the number of days I'm actually on the ground gives me a base. ($4000 worth of airfares for 10 days) (Calculations are based on Oz dollars and two persons.)

2. Am I likely to go there again? If yes then travel time between my accom and the sights is less important. If no...then I sort of calculate it against number 1. ie if it cost me $400 a day to get there and I wont go again..spending the equivalent of a sightseeing day getting around means I should spend a rough total of $400 + extra travel expenses from the more remote location eg buses, rail ferries lets say $10 per day over 10 days. This equates to $500 more on the accom in total. (or $50 per day)

I hope this isn't too confusing.. and perhaps it's just a way i can rationalise spending more money on my accom, but it's been a pretty reliable method in the past. Of couse it all depends if the budget runs to the extra $500..if not i go as close as I can afford.

The other thing you should remember is if you're calculating rates per night in US or Oz dollars. if it's in Oz dollars it's 20 percent cheaper. (at least right now..maybe more)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 39
10. Re: hotel search continues

i feel that whilst glebe is a nice, trendy area, it is just a little bit out of the way for the tourist who is going to see alot of places in the city area.

have you thought about youth hostels(which i think are for all age groups now?). check out this site

www.yha.com.au/hostels/search/region.cfm…

for the yha places in sydney. there is also one in glebe!!

we have walked past the sydney central yha many times and thought to ourselves ' gee, this is a great location/place to stay if we were sydney visitors!' my husband works across the road from this place and he reports that it is always busy with many different age groups and that there is a rooftop swimming pool too! it is almost on george street(the main street of sydney) so bus transport is very easy. walking distance to darling harbour and you can also walk up to the town hall and hyde park. lots of places to eat etc.

good luck in your search. i'm sure you'll enjoy this beautiful city.