We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney in the rain

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
reviews: 27
Sydney in the rain

My friend and I arrived in Sydney Monday night. Yesterday we took the ferry to Manly and did some walking around which was great. We leave on Saturday so we only have 3 days left. A couple of questions. We were thinking about making a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Should we scratch that idea if it continues to rain as predicted? If we attempt the Blue Mountains on a rainy day what is the best way to do this? We will still walk around the Rocks and see the Opera House--probably today. Any other ideas for rainy day activities? What is the best restaurant for great seafood? We are staying in the Circular Quay area. Thanks for your help!

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
11. Re: Sydney in the rain

If you stay in town, nip up to the Art Gallery of NSW.

You can see the wonderfully interesting and Inspiring work of some of our high school students in the "art express " exhibition.

Oh yes - and a stunning collection of lost & found treasures from Kabul's National Museum. There's a small charge - but well worth it. Allow some extra time to see the stories on the iPads in the 2nd room.

The rest of the gallery is free. There's a good cafeteria & very good bistro, too. Oh yes, and new stuff in the Aboriginal Gallery - just down the escalators. And did I mention "Art After Hours" with talks, music & more on Wednesdays, when the gallery is open until 9pm?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
12. Re: Sydney in the rain

Regarding food at the Biennial(e) at Cockatoo - I had a really good bratwurst from a food truck near the marina (where the event ferries land). A few other trucks were adjacent. There was also a noodle cafe within the large exhibition area in the old shipyard shops. There seemed to be plenty to choose from regarding food.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 40
13. Re: Sydney in the rain

Take a ferry ride...anywhere...and sit inside. I like the ferry tour that goes around and shows you the bays and big houses and gives a talk, dont recall what is was called, but I enjoyed it. Enquire at the quay office. Or a ferry ride over to Manly and have a coffee, and ask the tourism what to do there, sorry not many ideas, but plenty on offer from the informative folk who live there!

my philosophy is never let the weather stop you from doing what you planned!

if all else fails go shopping?

Sydney Australia
reviews: 75
14. Re: Sydney in the rain

From the looks of the weather this morning, I'd skip the Blue Mountains. Others have suggested great options - museums, Biennale - and you could think of doing the Bondi to Bronte Walk (or further, Bondi to Clovelly or Coogee). Yep, very rainy, but dramatic with big seas at the moment. And plenty of cafés at each beach for a reviving coffee. Easy buses at each beach back to the city.

Or take the bus up to Palm Beach and the little ferry across Pittwater. You'll see lots more of Sydney's landscapes. Bus trip takes about an hour, nice cafés near the ferry wharf.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed the rain eases up. My dog thinks so too!

Traverse City...
reviews: 27
15. Re: Sydney in the rain

More great ideas and much appreciated. Blue Mountains sure are looking doubtful for tomorrow so we will likely do some of the things mentioned above. The Bondi/Bronte walk sounds good to me although I'm not sure my friend will be up for it. I'm sure this will make you laugh but I do want to see some Australian animals (not human) while I am here so I might spend a couple hours at the zoo tomorrow in spite of the rain. Weather never stops me--I'm from Michigan and we experience it all!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 14
16. Re: Sydney in the rain

It is a pity to miss the Blue Mountains because of the rain. I was there last weekend and there was a combination of sun and storms (including hail) across the weekend. The forecast does appear as though the rain has set in, but taking in Scenic World (with the boardwalk) is not entirely unpleasant in the rain, and you could hope that the vistas open up at times.

Reply to: Sydney in the rain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted