We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

I am visiting Sydney for a few days in Feb. My GF and I are staying in central Sydney. I want to propose while I am there, but don't know where! Here is what I want in an area:

1. I want a beautiful view to be available, likely during the late afternoon.

2. I want my GF and I to be relatively alone. in other words, when I pop the question, I don't want many (or any, preferably) people seeing me ask her. and I also don't want her to be able to see many people when I ask.

3. Nothing too crazy (e.g., no jumping off a bridge or anything).

I've been recommended Blue Point and Wendy's secret garden. Any other recommendations?

I would be willing to spend a bit of money, but nothing too crazy. I might go to a secluded beach for the afternoon, but don't think I want to propose on the beach.

QUICK REPLIES APPRECIATED!

Jeff

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
1. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Hi,

Same question on last years thread, you may get some ideas here - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k6…

Good luck

Montreal, Canada
2. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Yes some of those are quite excellent and I am certainly keeping them in mind. Many don't fit my criteria, so I am hoping to get more opinions...

Is Mrs Macquarie's Chair pretty quiet? If we are there for a bit, could we be alone?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
3. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Ah no, for the most part Mrs Macquaries Chair will be crowded with tourists.

I think the 'island' at Balmoral Beach might be nice, or the Amphitheatre at Bradley's Head early morning would be amazing too.

I think you'll get heaps more suggestions in about four hours.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
4. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

From the Cremorne Point ferry wharf (which is a 6 minute ride from Circular Quay) go up the steps, then walk about 300 metres along the path past the playground AWAY from the Harbour Bridge. When you get to the Point walk down some stone steps to a rock ledge with a seat and the most fabulous view of the Harbour. No one ever goes there. (except for me and I'm there in the morning so you're safe😉)

I've always thought it would be a fabulous spot to propose.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
5. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

I am sure there is a quiet place at Mrs Macquaries Chair (with the Bridge and Opera House in the background).

Bradleys Head - can get there via Taronga Zoo ferry and walk but taxi would be easier.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 39
6. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Pack or order a special picnic basket, ferry or water taxi to a Harbour Island, I think Clark island has nice views......book the whole island if you are worried someone may come along.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
7. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Another suggestion is Fairlight Beach near Manly as its a quiet little tucked-away beach overlooking Sydney harbour. Getting to Fairlight Beach could not be easier. Simply catch the ferry to Manly Wharf, turn left when you hit the shore, and keep going until you get there. It should take you around 10 minutes after you pass Manly Aquarium . The walk is lovely taking in some gorgeous views of Sydney Harbour & is apart of the famous Spit to Manly walk.. There are many little romantic spots tucked away along the walk which would be ideal for your proposal.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 8
8. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Yeah was going to say the Spit to Manly walk (or visa versa)and stop at an outcrop near Dobroyd Head.I know you don't want many ppl around but wait for a twighlight ferry crossing and head to the front and do a Titanic scene.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 33
9. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

I vote for Mrs Macquarie's Chair. Yes, it is usually crowded with sightseers, but they mostly stay up on the road/lookout. If you look at a map you will see that there is parkland below the road. Walk down to the water's edge and you will find plenty of secluded nooks among the trees. The view is unforgettable, and if you are on the western side at dusk the sun is going down behind the bridge.

I once came saw a man proposing to his GF at the Opera House. It was a beautiful moment. Strangely, if you walk around the outside of the OH at night it is very deserted. Not many people take the time to walk around the water to the far side of the building. You are guaranteed to have some privacy right by the water, especially late at night after a nice dinner nearby... (sigh)

Montreal, Canada
10. Re: HELP needed!! Where in Sydney should I PROPOSE to my GF?

Wow!! Thank you so much for the ideas. I am also thinking of having a photographer taking pictures of the moment. He would do this hidden, so do some of these places offer him hiding places?

He suggested Blue Point? He said it is a nice view a not many people are there. What are your thoughts?

Also looking into your options...