We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burnie, Australia
Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney

Looking at coming to Sydney in March and dont know which hotel would be the best of Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney (four seasons is booked out). It will be for 2 adults and a child (12). We would like something with a bridge and opera house view from our room and a room that isnt outdated. Any help would be appreciated. We would like to be close to circular quay for boat transport and the train station. Thank you in advance

2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 42
1. Re: Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney

Shanghai-La has the better panoramic view, as it sits inline with the bridge. The rooms are also slightly bigger. The InterContinental has great views, but not as expansive, and comparing Exec Floor rooms, only slightly smaller. BUT - The InterCon is in a far superior location, easy walking distance from Circular Quay, superior service, and the possibly the best Club Lounge in the world. The feel is very European, warm, rich colours.

Shanghai-La is a beautiful hotel, but in a awkward location, has one of the best cocktail bars in Sydney, and a wonderful reputation for their Food & Beverage. The feel is contemporary Asian with light pastel colours, but very 'big' as opposed to intimate.

So which one? Entirely your choice. If you're going to be spending alot of your time in room enjoying the view from the hotel - Shangri-La hands down. If you're going to be out sightseeing or you have activities/appointments planned, I think the InterCon is a superior service product. Even more so if the club rooms or junior suites are within your budget.

Personally, I would consider Quay West in your situation. Located behind Four Seasons, its closer than the Shangri-La. Their 2 bedroom Harbourview would be on par with the exec rooms in both the hotels you've listed, magnificent views, has a kitchenette, lounge area, dining area, entertainment system, laundry, and generally more space geared towards a family than the other two - unless you're thinking of a suite in the others.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 14
2. Re: Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney

Intercontinental! I stayed there recently and I have stayed in Shangri-La in the past...I much prefer the Intercontinental! It's more classic and their service is top-notch! I consider the Shangri-La to be more of a trendy hipster hotel...it's very beautiful and I recommend definitely visiting as they have great bars and restaurants, but when I want a comfortable night's sleep in an all-around outstanding hotel, I would choose the Intercontinental.

Reply to: Shangri-La or InterContinental Sydney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted