We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Immigration & Customs

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northampton
reviews: 20
Sydney Immigration & Customs

We will be leaving for Sydney in 10 days and would like to thank all the regulars on this forum for all the helpful advice. We will spend 10 nights in Sydney then do a Pacific islands cruise for 11 nights then one more night in Sydney before we leave for Hong Kong. We will be travelling on e-visitor visas.

I have 2 questions about immigration/customs which someone may be able to help me with.

On the Incoming Passenger Card should we say that out intended stay is for 23 days or will we be required to fill in outgoing and subsequent incoming cards for the cruise which would contradict that. The immigration dept. web site suggests that for the purpose of visa conditions an RTC (Round Trip Cruise) would be treated as days in Australia (i.e. as if we hadn't left). The embassy in London wasn't very helpful, saying " fill out the form as best you can perhaps with a note". Where we would include a note escapes me. So hopefully one of you TA experts can be more helpful or maybe someone reading this has had this experience already..

One other small matter, again relating to the Passenger Card.

I will be bringing in prescription medicines for high blood pressure (in their original packaging and with the prescription). Question 1 on the form mentions medicines and says if in doubt declare them. The medicines are standard issue and I'm sure non-contentious but my intention is to declare them. Is this the right approach and will it delay me significantly at Customs?

Thanks again for all your hard work and assistance.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
reviews: 5
1. Re: Sydney Immigration & Customs

Mentioning the medications on your incoming (which is the correct thing to do) shouldnt delay you. It might even get you into the 'straight through' if the person doing initial checks is happy with what you are declaring. Realising maybe 2/3 of the population use some type of medication, its obvious customs are familiar with travelers (with) pills etc

Luton, UK
reviews: 33
2. Re: Sydney Immigration & Customs

I flew in to Sydney at Christmas. Like you I suffer from high blood pressure and declared my medication. They just looked at the form, asked what I had and that was it - no further questions asked. It may be worth just writing on a piece of paper what you take to save getting everything out. They were more worried about my golf shoes (which I also declared!)

Oz
reviews: 31
3. Re: Sydney Immigration & Customs

Hi,

Fill in the form stating the time you will be in OZ and the period of the cruise.

Certainly declare your medication and anything else. Should you be stopped it makes things quicker if you have the medication in a clear plastic bag in a compartment of your carry on luggage so it is easy and quick to access. I have only been asked once to show the medication (in NZ) over many tripa in and out of Oz..

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 121
4. Re: Sydney Immigration & Customs

My rule of thumb is if in doubt, don't complete it until you see an official.

I was once ticked off for completing a form incorrectly (he must have been having a bad day) so now I don't tick unless I'm 100% sure and I raise it with the official.

IME, for most officials they will correct the form, initial it and send you on your way, but sometimes you can get someone who is annoyed about something !

Definitely tell them of your land and cruise plans.

5. Re: Sydney Immigration & Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2015