We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Hello all!

We will be travelling to Sydney, arriving earlyyy morning on 29th June and we'll be there on 30th as well. Then we'll be in Epping for the next few days (for a conference). & in Redfern on 6th July.

Would like to seek your advice for the technically 3 days we have in Sydney.

We love good laneside food, & would like some good shopping that is not expensive.

Thus far, we have the following on our list but unsure if feasible.

29th June Saturday: Pitt St Mall, David Jones, Queen Victoria Building, Paddington market

30th June: Ferry to Manly in the morning, afternoon at The Rocks market, Opera House and a walk around the Opera House, Botanical Gardens and Mrs Maquarie's Chair(romantic at night). Walk around circular quay/rocks at night when bridge and opera house lit up

6th July:

Other things on our mind: Balmain if possible, the fish market, Manly, do the Pylon climb/ walk the bridge, Surry Hills dining/shop

Thank you!

Jill

Wentworth Falls...
reviews: 103
1. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

All look good also suggest a visit to the blue mountains easy to visit by public transport check out www.cityrail.info

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Hi

When you are staying at Epping, if you have a spare hour or two take the train from Epping Station (Platform 5, underground) to Macquarie Centre for Shopping. Alight at Macquarie University Station. There is a Myers Department store there and 3 Levels of shops. You could also take the train from Epping (Platform 5 again) to the City via the Harbour Bridge.

Another suggestion is to take the Route M54 Bus from Beecroft Rd at Epping to Parramatta , walk to the Ferry wharf at Parramatta and take the Ferry (Rivercat) along the Parramatta River to the City.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Hi ,

Your itinerary is quite doable. On the 29th June finish your City walk at DJs ,walk across Elizabeth St and join Routes 333 or 380 bus to Paddington Markets. You may also wish to visit Darling Harbour. Please note Sunday 30th June 2013 is the last day of the Sydney Monorail which operates from the city to Darling Harbour. There is alternative transport to Darling Harbour after this date. ie: Bus, Ferry or light Rail.

You said you wanted to go to Manly on the 30th June and the 6th July , I suggest once would be adequate.

On the 6th of July take the Ferry from Circular Quay to Balmain East wharf, Then join Route 445 Bus to Lilyfield Light rail station , then join LightRail to Fish Markets. Route 445 diverts via Lilyfield LRStn from about 8.30am to 5.20pm. this will give you a good look at Balmain. Then travel by the LightRail (tram) back to the City. Use the Free Bus Route 555 when in the City. There should be good Laneside Food shops at Surry Hills Have a good time.

singapore
4. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Hi PTT138,

Thank you for your advice! The transportation advice is so pertinent & I really appreciate you taking the time on that.

If I wish to do the Pylon Climb, where would you slot this in?

singapore
5. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Also would like to check, if I wanted to do a day walk, I reckon I would have to drop one day's activities.

In your recommendation,

1) which day's activities should I drop?

2) If I had to choose between a day walk - Manly to spit bridge Versus The Rock Lookout at Blue Mountain, which is better for scenery? haha I guess my question may be pretty invalid because I'm sure both are superbly breath taking.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Hi Jill,

I am glad you liked my transport suggestions. You said you have 3 days to tour Sydney. The Pylon Lookout could be combined with your trip to Balmain or on the day you go to Surry Hills. I suggest you do the trip to Balmain and the Pylon Lookout as follows:-

A) Travel by train to Central Station, go up the escalators to the main concourse. Join the LightRail (tram) at the back of the concourse then travel to the Fish Markets Station , walk to the Fish Markets. Have lunch.

Re-join the lightrail and continue on to the end of the line, alight at the Lilyfield Light Rail station . Walk up to the Road and join the Route 445 bus to Balmain East Wharf, this will give you a view of Balmain. Join Ferry at Balmain East Wharf to Circular Quay. You will travel under the Harbour Bridge. Alight at Circular quay and walk to the Pylon Lookout, check the time it closes. If you are late do it on another day.

Check the weather on the day to chose between walking from Manly to the Spit or the Blue Mountains.

I consider the Blue Mountains to be more spectacular but you are travelling in the Winter and the Mountains will be very cold. Travel to the Mountains if it is a fine warm day but if it is cold or cloudy do the walk from Manly to the Spit. It can be cloudy in Sydney but wet or misty in the Mountains on the same day in the winter.

1) If travelling to the Blue Mountains allow a full day and join the train from Central Station , get a combined train and explorer bus ticket. At Katoomba join the Explorer Hop On Hop off bus which includes stops at Echo Point and scenicworld. See other posts here for more details. Also www.131500.com. for train times.

2) Take Ferry from No3 Wharf at Circular Quay to Manly , walk left along the Manly Pool , and aquarium then follow walking track around the Harbour. If you do not wish to walk all the way to the Spit you can leave the track at the Dobroyd Point Lookout, walk down the road to the Bus Stop and join the Route 132 Bus back to

Manly Wharf, otherwise continue onto the Spit and join the Bus back to the City. This will give you excellent views of Middle Harbour. www.131500. com .au or www.Sydneybuses.com. for Bus times and maps of the Routes.

3) If you travel on Route M54 from Epping to Parramatta as I previously suggested, alight from the M54 in George St Parramatta , walk along George St , then left along Charles st to Parramatta Wharf. or travel by M54 to Parramatta Station then join the Free Bus from Darcy St to Parramatta Wharf then Rivercat to Circular Quay. I would recommend this trip in the Winter Time for views of the Parramatta River and under the Harbour Bridge. HAVE A GREAT TIME.

singapore
7. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

Thanks so much for the advice!!

If I skip balmain and surry hills, do you reckon I will be able to do the fish market, pylon climb, manly to spit walk all in one day?

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
8. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

No or unless you get up early and rush around.

All three things are in different areas and require taxis, public transport.

Why not enjoy Manly, have breakfast or lunch then walk. When you get back to the city do the pylin climb.

Fish markets are interetsing, but I think they can dropped from your itinerary and you wont feel like you have missed somewhere totally amazing.

Australia
reviews: 189
9. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

The Rivercat from Parramatta to the City is great!!

Also, there are lots of cheap Chinese/Korean dining experiences in Eastwood, one train stop from Epping.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
10. Re: Sydney Itinery- Fun & Experiential

I agree with hamiriver, I think the Fish Markets, the Pylon Climb and the Spit to Manly walk in one day is pushing it just a little too much - even if you got an early start.

I too would drop the Fish Markets if I had a choice of two out of the three.

Edited: 4:31 pm, June 18, 2013