We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
reviews: 2
How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Hey,

I'm travelling to Sydney to stay with family in July. How much money do you think would be appropriate to take. I will only be staying in hotels a couple of nights and will tend to spend most of time time in or around Sydney.

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

hard question to answer not knowing your travel style.

i would budget around $200/night for the hotel nights and around $100/day for food/drink/transport/entry fees.

Southend-on-Sea...
reviews: 2
2. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

I don't really drink that much and will be put off drinking even more by what I have heard is outrageous alcohol prices. I'm thinking about $80-100 a day.

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

that would get u thru i am sure.

just because u budget for things doesn't mean u have to spend it.

if u keep away from tourist areas to eat/drink prices are not too bad.

pubs/clubs are a cheap source. ethnic cafes too.

for accommo rates look here. use it as a search engine.

www.wotif.com

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
4. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

I wouldn't be too frightened off by the prices you read about here. Sometimes I wonder myself what some people think are 'typical' prices.

In a regular pub or club, you can get a drink for $5 or $6. Of course a cocktail in an upmarket, touristy bar may well set you back $25 - but it's not typical.

You budget is fine - for one person I assume.

Oz
reviews: 32
5. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Hey,

Follow the usual rule and take half the luggage you think you will need and twice the money ;-) With your budget I wouldn't stay too long in any cities.

Cheers,

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
6. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

LOL << I'm thinking about $80-100 a day.>> Clearly you've already answered your own question.

We did find things expensive in Australia - we were spending $50 AUD the way we spend $20 CAD. I'd say your budget is per person, not for the whole family, unless you plan to buy groceries and only visit free attractions. You are going to spend so much money getting there that you can't afford NOT to spend the money you need while you are there. I don't mean fancy dinners and expensive souvenirs, but just to get around, relax and see what you've come to see. It will cost you more than that for a family of four.

And I do hope your question is rhetorical. You are going to take a few hundred $$$ to get you started, and then make withdrawals from ATMs as needed.

Edited: 7:27 pm, April 03, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 202
7. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Hi. 80-100 AUD will be okay for one person. Some days you'll spend less - wander round darling harbour (0), see botanic gardens(0), icecream on the run for lunch (5) and a quick dinner in Chinatown (15) - would cost 20 AUD.

Other days you'll use a lot more - ferry to the zoo and zoo entry (50) lunch and an icecream there (20) glass of wine at a bar in the Rocks (15), then a simple dinner at Cafe Sydney (50) - there goes 135 AUD. And that is a very truthful estimate. An extra coffee here, a little souvenir there, that's an extra 20 AUD gone each day.

Budget Si you can do what you want, and if you bring some monies back with you (figuratively speaking), that's a bonus.

Enjoy!

Abs :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

But don't bring cash. Australian banks are not all that interested in changing cash for tourists, and the shopfront money-changers mostly offer poor exchange rates. Bring a debit card and get money out of ATMs as you need it.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
9. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Don't forget one of the best tourist experiences in Sydney is also one of the cheapest. Take a Sydney ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. It takes about an hour each way but crosses the harbour and when you get to Manly it's only a short walk from the harbour side to the beach side where you can see the iconic Aussie beach and yes even in July there will be people out surfing and possibly swimming. Then take the scenic walk way to North Head before walking back to catch the ferry back to Circular Quay. Can easily be a day trip and with lunch and a coffee doable for $30. (Less if you pack a sandwich).

Englewood, Florida
reviews: 41
10. Re: How much money should I take to Sydney for 14 days?

Consider staying in hostels such as YHA instead of hotels where you can book a bed and activity packages very reasonably.