We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
reviews: 12
NYE in Sydney

My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia in December for the Ashes. We will be in Sydney for New Years Eve. Could anybody please recommend a good area to stay in and the best place to view the fireworks etc? I appreciate that will be peak season but this is our once in a lifetime holiday! Many thanks ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
reviews: 116
1. Re: NYE in Sydney

Hi Ruth

Have you had a look at the NYE FAQ on the right hand side of this page? There is a lot of good info. there which should help you decide. NYE is always the busiest (& most expensive) time for accommodation in Sydney so you will need to book ASAP.

Have you secured tickets to the match? Unless you're part of a tour group you may find this a challenge. When tickets are made available to the public these will be snapped up in seconds!

Liverpool, United...
2. Re: NYE in Sydney

My husband is onto the tickets. I'll have a look at the page thanks. Thank you for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 121
3. Re: NYE in Sydney

"Could anybody please recommend a good area to stay in "

At this time I would say anywhere you can get a booking and you're happy with the price ... most aren't "happy" with the price as they are loaded up and there is a minimum night stay - pretty much across the board in Sydney - but on the other hand, it is a "once in a lifetime" experience for many people so they accept it.

My advice would be to go to hotel booking site with an interactive map or a map that shows where all the hotels are such as www.booking.com and then see what's available and where is is located.

The city of Sydney is very walkable if you have no mobility issues. If for example you get a hotel at Darling Harour / Chinatown / Central Station area, you'd have no problems with transport eg buses or trains from Central Station.

If you got a hotel in the "CBD", such as the Hilton, Swissotel, Westin etc, it's very easy to walk to Circular Quay - perhaps 10 mins at the most - and transport again isn't a problem.

You may have to go further out ... check back here if you like before locking in you accommodation.

Oz
reviews: 31
4. Re: NYE in Sydney

Hi Ruth T,

You are wasting your time visiting for the Ashes. Our current test team couldn't beat the Asfield U12's.

Visit by all means but save your money on tickets to the Ashes.

Cheers,

Liverpool, United...
5. Re: NYE in Sydney

Thanks, now I've got your permission I'm glad i can visit Australia!

Edited: 8:47 pm, March 29, 2013
Oz
reviews: 31
6. Re: NYE in Sydney

Hi,

No worries! Just leave the money on the fridge.

Cheers,

7. Re: NYE in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 31, 2014