We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Autralia

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 76
1st time to Autralia

Hi,

My husband will be traveling to Australia for business the 1st 2 weeks of April and I will be joining him. This is the 1st time for both of us. He will leave ahead of me and I will meet him there so we can take a week to visit. He will be in Brisbane then Sydney. My questions are:

1- Is it worth it for me to travel to Brisbane to meet him or should I wait until he arrives in Sydney ? I would most likely arrive the day before he leaves Brisbane which doesn't give me much time but it may be worth it ?

2- Aside from Sydney itself which we will visit, what day trips or locations are must sees ?

3- Are there any GBR and Tasmania trips available from Sydney ? (Or any better ones..?)

Any help and or suggestions would be much appreciated. Trying to see as much as we can in the short period of time we will have there and would love to see more than just "the city".

Many thanks !

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: 1st time to Autralia

1. i think u r better off meeting in sydney.

2. most go to the blue mountains, some to the hunter valley for a wine experience. some travel to the nation's capital 3 hours down the road.

sydney must sees are on the sydney forum page. left and right hand side.

3. both tasmania and the gbr eg. cairns are connected to sydney by air.

the latter is a 3 hour flight. very easy to organize a DIY tour......if u have the time

Aireys Inlet...
reviews: 2
2. Re: 1st time to Autralia

Hi TWT,

I'm a Victorian, so no expert on Sydney or Brisbane, but I have been to both numerous times. Weather in Brisbane is good in April. I prefer the Sunshine Coast which is about 1.5 hours north of Brizzy, Much more scenic. There are some nice restaurants along the Brizzy river front.

The GBR is a long way from Sydney, so is Tassie. Either of these you would need a minimum 5 days away from Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: 1st time to Autralia

If a direct flight to Brisbane then maybe worth seeing (and you can walk out any jet lag out before Sydney so fresh when there).

Tasmania is about 2 hours away and worth considering for scenery, historical sites, art gallery but would require at least 2 full days.

Most people go to Cairns for GBR (full day trip out to reef) and this is 3 hours flying time from Sydney or 2 1/2 hours from Brisbane.

Another popular trip is fly to Melbourne and then drive the Great Ocean Road along the coast.

One thing to remember is you need to add time to above for airport check-ins, security etc

7 full days in Sydney (if this is how much time you have) does allow time for side trips and chance to see more of Australia eg Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, Canberra (our capital)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 16
4. Re: 1st time to Autralia

I'd go to Sydney and wait for your husband there. I'd spend 3-4 days in Sydney seeing the sights then fly to Cairns and spend 3-4 days there to do the GBR and other sights up there. Port Douglas is an hour north of cairns but I think worth the extra travel if you're staying more than 2 nights. As lien said check the must see lists for both destinations to help you decide. Happy planning :)

London, United...
reviews: 4
5. Re: 1st time to Autralia

As this is your first visit to Australia I think there is more than enough to do and see in the Sydney area unless you have a burning desire to see the GBR in which case I suggest you go to either Brisbane or Cairns first as your husband will already be in Queensland. North of Cairns is a lovely little resort called Palm Cove which has day trips running out to the reef.

In Sydney there's lots to see and do both in the city and close by. If you're not doing the GBR I suggest doing a 2 or 3 night trip out of the city to the Blue Mountains and then up to the Hunter Valley before returning to Sydney.

I've lived in Sydney and visited maybe 10 times and I always find lots to do there for 5-7 days. I've never been to Tasmania BTW.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 94
6. Re: 1st time to Autralia

Hi Twilight - I mean no disrespect but it's normally Americans who know so little about Australia. To put things into perspective, if you want to do the Great Barrier Reef you'd probably fly to Cairns. That's about the same distance from Sydney as Winnipeg is from Montreal. Tasmania is a lot closer. It's about the distance from Montreal to about the middle of Lake Superior. Honestly, you'll find heaps to do in and around Sydney for a week. If you are looking at reef or Tasmanian trips, you will spend a lot of time negotiating airports and flying over Australia rather than being in it, which is kinda the point.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 76
7. Re: 1st time to Autralia

Thanks everyone. @markjackson: No disrespect taken. I knew it was far but given it may be my only time in Australia, I just want to make the most of it and try to see as much as possible. Thanks for your feedback.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 25
8. Re: 1st time to Autralia

As suggested; meet him in Sydney… Although; if you can arrive in Brisbane a couple of days before he leaves; there is always snorkelling the Tangalooma Wrecks on Moreton Island!? It’s not the GBR by any means; but there is Dolphin feeding at Tangalooma Resort and an artificial reef where fish abound that would surely please a short time visitor for a day :)

Cheers Angie

9. Re: 1st time to Autralia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 12, 2014