We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic world or HOHO bus?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Scenic world or HOHO bus?

Do you recommend a visit to Scenic World or taking a hop-on-hop-off bus to get a good impression of the scenic beauty of the blue mountains area?

I plan a day trip from sydney

Thanks

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

u use the HOHO bus to get around all the BM sights of which scenic world is one.

take the rail car down from scenic world, do the short walk around the valley floor and return to scenic world via the cable car. this is only one 'attraction' of the BMs

usa
reviews: 8
2. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

Yes, I am trying to figure out which of these 2 options will be better

1) I skip Scenic world and just see the other attractions on the HOHO cliff drive route,

2) I just go to Echo point and Scenic world by public transport and skip the HOHO

Edited: 6:27 pm, October 16, 2012
South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

imo just doing the two wont fill in your day.

echo point 10 mins. scenic world 1 to 2 hours at most.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 121
4. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

I agree with Lien

You can only see so much from a bus and it won't take all day to go around.

At Scenic World you can not only do the rail down to the base and take a walk around, get some information about the old mines, maybe see some wildlife such as Lyre Birds which live in the rain forest areas. Then catch the gondola back up to actually "fly" above the rainforest and then get the Sky train thingy to get a birds eye view of the waterfall and the bush below.

You can also see the 3 sisters from here tho' I would definitely recommend you get off the HOHO at Echo Point and see them AND at Scenic World you can also see a life form representation of the 3 sisters.

Scenic World also has clean toilets, a cafeteria style eatery and shopping for souvenirs which IMO are no more expensive than anywhere else.

If you budget stretches that far, I'd still recommend the HOHO as you'll see quite a bit on board including the lovely village of Leura ...

Edited: 12:44 am, October 17, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
5. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

It depends on whether you like to walk or ride.

From the HOHO you get to see a lot of sights around the Blue Mountains. As has been said, you can spend a short time at each of these.

If you like to hike then you can take the public bus to Echo Point, walk down to the valley below via the Giants Staircase (over 900 steep steps so not for the feint hearted), take some stunning walks along the valley floor and then take the Scenic Railway back up to the top of the ridge at Scenic World where a bus will take you back to Katoomba station.

Depending on which tracks you take, this could take all day if you include time out for a leisurely picnic. You certainly won't see as many sights but it's a great way to spend a day if you like being out in the bush and experiencing nature close up.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
6. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

Either way, you are only seeing the area around Katoomba, which is only part of this lovely area. Katoomba is very compact and walkable and everything is pretty close together. Not hard to skim the main attractions in a few hours from the train station, however you go about it.

London, United...
reviews: 21
7. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

We went to the blue mountains last week. We couldnt afford to do scenic world and the bus. We chose scenic world so we would do the train, cable car, sky train etc. scenic world was amazing and I can't imagine not having done those activities. There seems to be 2 HOHO buses, one at $38 and another trolley bus at $25. But eh trolley bus is also a service bus which we got to Scenic World for $2.40 each way.

you catch the trolley bus outside katoomba station - just cross the road at the station and uou'll see a street ahead of you, walk about 10m up there and the trolley bus stop is on the left.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
8. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

I went a few weeks ago. We walked from the main rail station to Scenic World, about 35 minutes, predominantly downhill. Then we saw the delights of Scenic World and walked along the cliff side walk to Echo Point. We caught the local shuttle bus back to the station direct from echo point. It took 15 minutes and cost just $2!

We got the train from Sydney at 0900 and were home by 1900. Felt we saw a lot of the main sites. Abs :)

Edited: 8:29 am, April 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 121
9. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

Glad you enjoyed it Abs but I think with a little extra time you could have seen The Cascades - a lovely park like area between Leura and Echo Point .... not to mention perhaps a bush walk etc ... there's a lot more to the BM than Scenic World and Echo Point ... but I do get that a visitor may only have time or want to see those two things.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 118
10. Re: Scenic world or HOHO bus?

We are intending to do a day trip to the BM in July. Should we do the Scenic World experience first and go onto Leura of visa versa and how much time should we allow for Scenic World. We are hoping to arrive in Katoomba at around 10.00 am on a Sunday but have no restrictions on departure time.