We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Cup

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wingham, Ontario
reviews: 4
Melbourne Cup

The Melbourne Cup takes place the day after we arrive in Sydney. I am told it is observed like a national holiday. Will restaurants remain open throughout the city? We will be staying near Manly and plan to sight see that day around the city.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Melbourne Cup

Sydney does not have a pubic holiday for Melbourne cup, so everything will be open and operating as normal.

Melbourne cup day is only a public holiday in Victoria, and even so, restaurants, shops,pubs, etc remain open.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 121
2. Re: Melbourne Cup

It's true Sydney doesn't have a public holiday to celebrate this race as they do in Melbourne, but that doesn't stop Sydneysiders and everyone else across the country for going to Melbourne Cup parties and lunches.

You will still get to do quite a lot of sightseeing so that won't be a problem at all ... but don't be surprised if service in some places drops off just before 3pm for 5-10 mins while the race is run and then for a quick post mortem ... it'd be best to order you coffee or drink well before then !!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
3. Re: Melbourne Cup

Hi,

As mentioned there is no Public Holiday in Sydney only in Melbourne. However; most Sydneysiders take the afternoon off to watch the race & all the pubs, restaurants & streets will be buzzing with excitement.

Its a fab day to explore Sydney & also take part in Australia's most famous social event "the race that stops a nation",

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
reviews: 116
4. Re: Melbourne Cup

I doubt you'll notice the race is even on in Sydney. I was showing an o/s visitor around the tourist spots on cup day 2 years ago & the only things I noticed were busy TABs (betting offices) & a few women wearing hats. This was in the CBD. Everywhere else was totally unaffected.

Very few people I know take the afternoon off, most businesses/ shops operate as usual - hairdressers may be the exception.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 14
5. Re: Melbourne Cup

Rather than avoiding it, why not find a pub with the race on the screen, maybe even have a flutter...

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 24
6. Re: Melbourne Cup

No Morticia, it's not a holiday in Victoria, it's only Melbourne who has that day. The rest of the state has different local holidays around their own racing carnivals.

Edited: 6:45 pm, October 01, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Melbourne Cup

BrawBlether - you can take that up with Vic Gov rather than me. It's listed as a Victorian public holiday on their website.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 24
8. Re: Melbourne Cup

At least you are aware of the correct information now.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
9. Re: Melbourne Cup

The days of the Melbourne Cup being a big thing in Sydney have come and gone.

Workplaces might run sweeps, but the big boozy corporate lunches, other than those at the top who would be on a boozy lunch anyway are long gone.

I know it was very low key on the city last year as Guru and I went to the Fishmarkets for lunch and were home before the race started.

I think our changing culture really has impacted on events like this.

FWIW, we found out about the non metropolitan Public Holiday a few years ago when we were in Wangaratta (Brown Brothers Festival) and I thought it was odd the banks were open and then it was explained they closed for a show day.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
10. Re: Melbourne Cup

Geelong has the public holiday for the Geelong Cup instead, which can be confusing when you are Melbourne based but work in Geelong;) Sometimes Geelong based companies will give people a choice of which day they want to take as the holiday.

PS I know this from personal experience, I haven't just googled it.