We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Sydney??

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 4
What to do in Sydney??

My husband and I will be in Sydney the end of November/begining of December for 4 nights and we would love to hear suggestions of things to do. We would like to visit Hunter Valley (day tour? Spend the night?) and other ideas we have thought about is the Bridge Climb (looks a little touristy to me) and I would love to take a surfing lesson too.

We are wide open to any suggestions people have. We like to make the most of our time but still relax and bit since it is vacation.

Hotel and restaurant suggestions are appreciated too. Looking for a nice, mid price hotel (about $100-$150 US/night)

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
1. Re: What to do in Sydney??

I haven't heard anyone complain about the bridge climd...I think it's abit like going to Paris and not climbing the Tower or London and not doing the eye. (This should give you an idea of whether you really want to do it or not!)

I would factor in a Blue Mountains trip and if you want to do an overnight to the Hunter Valley you can add the Valley to that assuming you are willing to drive.

For a surfing lesson look at either Manly or Bondi (most people will point you to Manly).

Sydney accom is very expensive. Have alook at www.wotif.com to give you some hotel and ideas both for price and location (nearer to circular qua the better ususally) and then start asking questions about a few specific hotels you think you might like.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
2. Re: What to do in Sydney??

Four nights is a short time in Sydney to see all the highlights.So I would drop the Hunter Valley, and do a tour to the Blue Mountains.

WHAT DO IN SYDNEY?

Opera House

The Historic Rocks area – Circular Quay/Custom House/Tank Stream/Overseas passenger terminal/Cadman’s cottage/Sailors home/Sydney Observatory/Garrison Church/visit all the pubs!

Harbour Bridge climb/Museum of Contemporary Art/Susannah Place Museum.

Darling Harbour – Walk Pyrmont footbridge/National Maritime Museum/Cockle Bay & King Wharf/Sydney Aquarium/Chinese Gardens/Chinatown/Paddies Market/Powerhouse Museum/Capitol Theatre/eat and dine on the waterfront.

Royal Botanical Gardens – Mrs Macquarie chair/Art Gallery of NSW/Conservatorium of Music/Walks and tours/lunch at art gallery

Macquarie Street and city -Hyde Park Barracks/State Library/Parliament House/Sydney Hospital/Mint Museum/Queens Square/Hyde Park/QV building/St Mary’s Cathedral/Strand arcade.

Catch all the ferries to different locations and explore area.

Captain Cook Cruises – discover Sydney Harbour/Fort Denison Island/Shark Island/Parramatta river/Harbour beaches/Spit Bridge.

Spit Bridge to Manly walk.

Bondi Beach to Coogee walk.

Watson’s Bay/the Gap – famous headland

Kings Cross – a lively bohemian history and nightlife

Paddington Markets - Paddington

Elizabeth Bay House – Historic House/Vaucluse House

Balmoral Beach/Chainman’s Beach/Mosman village/walk Mosman Beaches

Northern Beaches to Palm Beach – Pittwater and National Parks.

Sydney National Park – Southern Sydney.

Tour Blue Mountains

as G/W said www.wotif.com gives you excellent info on prices/ location and description.Check them out and then read reviews this site.The pubs in Sydney are also well priced and in good locations.(like The Lord Nelson and The Palaside hotels in the rocks area).

The best areas to stay in are:

The Rocks

Circular Quay

City

Darling Harbour

Manly Beach

Kings Cross/Potts Point