We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

australia

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
australia

my husband and i are planning a trip to oz in jan 07,we are thinking of perth 3 nights,darwin 2 nights,carnes 2 nights sydney 4 nights,and aukland n.z.3 nights.plus other countrys on the way.we have no idear on where to start,as we have so little time in each area,but we realy do want to see as much as we can in that time. have you any idears???? please please point us in the right direction. thanks x

Southern United...
reviews: 41
1. Re: australia

Hi there,

sounds like your trip will be very hectic!

We did a trip down under last august and stopped at :

Sydney 4 nights

Melbourne 2 nights (Ballarat)

Ayers Rock 3 nights

Cairns 4 nights

Brisbane 4 nights

Fiji 3 nights

We flew from London straight to sydney via Bangkok. Then home from Fiji via Sydney and Bangkok to London.

It was a fantastic trip fromstart to finish but at the same time very hectic.

many folks advise stopping at less destinations to stay longer at each destination BUT I am really glad we did our trip as we did because we really did get to see and do so much.

Personally I don't think 3 nights in New Zealand is long enough and you may be better concentrating on Australia this trip and perhaps saving NZ for another trip???

I'd cut out NZ and add an extra night to Cairns and Darwin.

If it were me I'd spend 4 weeks in each of those destinations you have picked. Scub out NZ and maybe add 4 nights at Fiji or another pacific island?

Are you on a strict budget?

Next time we plan to stop off at singapore on route out to australia and stay for 2 nights before flying on to Oz as it gives a nice break between the long flights.

We booked with Thomas Cook using Qantas holidays which were superb and helpful from the moment we booked until after our trip.

Southern United...
reviews: 41
2. Re: australia

sorry I meant 4 nights in each destination...even though 4 weeks would be ideal!!! *LOL*

Sydney Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: australia

Elaine....are you travelling on some type of round world air ticket? Sometimes people try to squeeze just too much out of these tickets. If you start having 2nights here and there, you end up spending more time in airports and hotel check ins than in the place you are actually visiting. For instance, to take an Outer Barrier Reef tour is an all day thing. So that would leave you approx half a day to do all the other things that Cairns has to offer (not possible). If you want to see Kakadu National Park from Darwin, this also is a full day so once again you will get little time to do anything else and so on and so on. My suggestion would be to research each place you think you want to visit, decide what you cannot possibly miss, and perhaps fine tune your itinerary from there.

Sydney Australia
4. Re: australia

BTW, I also would cut out NZ. Thats a trip on its own.

midlands
5. Re: australia

we are planning to start with ,singapore,2 nts on orchard road,and then the hectic oz. and then fiji,6 nts.hawaii,6 nts and sanfran,2 nts.then last n.y.2 nts.to break the flight up coming home.where did you stay in fiji? and would you recommend it?? thanks alot x

united kingdom
reviews: 12
6. Re: australia

hi elaine

how many days in total for your trip?

we flew via Singapore last August - me, hubby, 2 children aged 16 and 12. the 16 year old is diabetic so we had considerations to make that you don't have.

however, it would have been so easy so plan so much because Australia offers so much and I had to put the brakes on my plans at least a dozen times to take into account time differences, and a balance between sightseeing and chill out time.

We still made 2 internal flights and watched the whales - a 4 hour drive north of Brisbane. We covered the great experiences of the rainforest, Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island (the largest sand island in the world) as well as Sydney and Singapore.

when your'e going to the other side of the world you want to enjoy it and appreciate it - Australia is so vast and offers so many wonderful experiences. You don't want to be so tired that you can't enjoy whatever it is you plan to do. Quality is better than quantity. It's so tempting to cram a lot in. Is there any particular reason you want to visit Perth? If not is it a priority to go there? (no offence to Perth at all).

Next time we visit will be without the children and we would like to take in Ayers Rock (Uluru, New Zealand and Fiji as well as visiting Sydney again. However we will be making a much longer trip.

Hope this helps.

ps which Hotel are you staying at on Orchard rd. and is your travel agent booking all your accommodation in Australia?

united kingdom
reviews: 12
7. Re: australia

pps

I agree with pepe55's reply.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 59
8. Re: australia

so do I.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 21
9. Re: australia

I was going to say I disagree with Pepe's math. I saw Fudge's itinerary and thought 4 nights in Cairns give you 3 full days, not 1.5. But now that I realize we're only talking 2 nights, 1.5 days may be generous.

With only 11 nights, I think you need to get a little more discriminating with your plans. Have you looked at Perth and determined that there's 3 days worth of things you really want to do?

I totally understand wanting to fit in as much as possible, and your itinerary is not "wrong" if you're squeezing in the things that most interest you. For example, 2 nights in Darwin might be okay if you really, really, really want to see Kakadu, and don't care to see anything else in that area. But to make it work, you have to do the research and feel free to skip things that other people think are important. For example, I am skipping Sydney because I only have 3 weeks in Aus, and I'd rather spend a few days near Darwin. Most people think I'm nuts for that, but I'd rather see some natural sights than a city built by European immigrants. You also need to make sure you aren't giving more time to a city with limited attractions while giving less to an area that you could find more to interest you.

It seems a little disproportionate to me to give a total of 12 nights to Fiji and Hawaii but only 11 to the whole country of Australia. Is the plan to run as fast as you can for 16 days, then spend almost 2 weeks just laying on the beach?

Sydney Australia
10. Re: australia

Seriously, without trying to insult any kiwis that may be lurking (?) I would skip NZ altogether which will give you an additional 3 nights in Australia before going onwards. NZ is a fabulous country and 3 nights in Auckland will not do it justice. If you are going to Hawaii to lie on the beach, why go to Fiji to do the same? Don't get me wrong, it's lovely and Aussies love to go there to unwind, but I must admit I am also at a loss over the time spent on the sand. Are you a beach fanatic? 2 nights in New York? Have you been before? Even if you get the earliest flight out of San Francisco, you still won't get into NY until around 3.30pm so there is 1 day lost already. If I were you, I would sit down with a cuppa, decide whats important (not something to do on a whim because you're there) and come up with plan B.