We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what makes an australian holiday special?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 35
what makes an australian holiday special?

dear valued tourists and local members,

i've often wondered what makes a holiday in australia special? why is your time in australia different to your holiday in the US or Europe or anywhere else in the world? after all, many of you have travelled to so many places around the world.

(i realise that for some tourists, their holiday in australia was not enjoyable but that is not my question here...maybe the next question).

what would you say were the tangible parts of your holiday that made it special? your hotels, the sights, the food?

what were the intangible parts that made it special? i'll start this list by mentioning the clean air and the open spaces that we noticed we missed on our recent asian trip.

let the comments begin.....

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
31. Re: what makes an australian holiday special?

Re food

When we travelled in the US what we most missed was ice creams on sticks - (like magnums) - real chocolate (dont mention Hershey bars), lamb roasts, good affordable wine, good coffee (everywhere except SF and NYC where the coffee was very good), cheese that was real(not orange processed stuff) and bread that tasted like bread and didn't have pounds of sugar in it.

In Australia all of these things are very easy to find , cheap and delicious.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 125
32. Re: what makes an australian holiday special?

LOL Nozzie,

We have firends that have just moved back from the US and the things they miss most about the food from the US are almost the same things you don't like (me either for that matter) and i have to add..peanut butter in a tube!

London, United...
reviews: 24
33. Re: what makes an australian holiday special?

GW your mention of the wonderful fruit out there reminds me of my son who has a passion for mangoes. (which are very expensive in UK) His grandmother in Sydney brought a whole crate for us and he unknown to me ate 8 in one day! We were up the whole night with him poor fellow as he had the most terrible tummy pains in the middle of the night!

Southern United...
reviews: 41
34. Re: what makes an australian holiday special?

*LOL* Poor soul. Reminds me of when I sat and ate 2 puonds in weight of unripened greengages!!!!! I cleared the house!!!!