We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Spot Car hire

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rivguy
reviews: 8
Red Spot Car hire

Despite their advertising which says something along the lines of “no funny business, just serious car rentals” they still manage to conduct some funny business. We hired a car from Brisbane airport in February 2011. At the check in counter we went through the normal discussion of the insurance options & costs however at no stage were we told of the rort they have going with tollway charges.

They charge A$15 per toll! The actul toll is around $4 however they see fit to charge a mark-up of almost 300%. Luckily I only went through one toll, I am pleased I didnt go through it 5 or 6 times.

Is that not funny business?

I won’t be caught again.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
31. Re: Red Spot Car hire

It sounds to me like you rented the vehicle through a third party with a website titled "Launceston Airport Car Hire", rather than directly with Red Spot. If that's the case, it's more your problem than Red Spot's.

With a bit more experience of renting cars, you will learn to avoid the third-party consolidators. It's always best to deal direct.

Luigi.

South Pole
reviews: 38
32. Re: Red Spot Car hire

had a similar situation with redspot in cairns when renting thru holidayautos.com.au

i had arranged zero excess.

but the redspot lady explained the potential claim situation clearly when i was picking up the car so it was no real problem.

no post return problems with redspot either.

as long as know what's going on and the rates are attractive i have no qualms dealing with 3rd party car rental companies.

that particular excess reduction situation is no different to that when u have opted to use that benefit with cc travel insurance

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 120
33. Re: Red Spot Car hire

When one analyses all the threads and posts concerning car rentals and in particular the complaints we here about three things stand out.

1. Car renters are wanting something for nothing or more than they are prepared to pay for.

2. Most car renters fail to fully read and understand the terms and conditions of the hire and as such complain that they are being ripped off because the terms and conditions of the hire are envoked to the letter

3. Complainants manage to find TA to complain after the event instead of coming to TA before the event to wise up on all the pitfalls of renting a car especially in a foreign country.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
34. Re: Red Spot Car hire

And cheapo car renters are eclipsed only by campervan renters in their post-trip discontent. :(

Sydney
reviews: 5
35. Re: Red Spot Car hire

Not so long ago there was a company called airport rentacar. They were great! Reasonbly priced cars, good service etc. I used them a number of times. Their website still exists: http://www.airportrentacar.com.au/

I booked a car through this for a recent trip to Brisbane - only to find out they are now called Red Spot - that's ok, nothing wrong with that. Got there to pick up my car, 45 minute wait for car to arrive from depot - oh and then it had to be cleaned while I waited. If I had delivered my car back 45 minutes late, you can be sure I would be charged another day. REALLY crap service - don't bother.

Sydney, Australia
36. Re: Red Spot Car hire

In fairness you cannot use productreview as a source for car rentals.

People will only ever whinge, moan, and complain when they have had a bad experience, but rarely will use productreview for positive reviews.

The end result is a highly skewed percentage/rating, which adversely damages the good name of companies, because those that DO have good experiences with the company, often do not write reviews.

So say some place has 1.5 / 5 (3/10 or 30%) rating with 100 reviews. Now lets say there are 200 customers which are incredibly happy with that company. The rating could easily jump from say 1.5/5 / 30% to 4/5 / 80%. Huge difference.

Everyone needs to keep that in mind though. Not always is BAD "online" actually bad. That's one reason Tripadvisor is great. Level headed reviews on both sides.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
37. Re: Red Spot Car hire

When you get an occasional new poster ranting about XYZ you can afford to think it's possibly a one off event or unwarranted ... when there are as many complaints as Red Spot gets here and elsewhere and you choose to go ahead and use them that says a lot to me. Obviously you have made up your mind to use them and are being dismissive of others experiences, but that doesn't make their experience invalid. For your sake I hope nothing happens but why you would chance it is beyond me.

38. Re: Red Spot Car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 03, 2015