We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Hostel Needed!!

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Nice Hostel Needed!!

I am looking for some much needed help in finding some decent accomodation for myself and my sister in Sydney for mid December in Sydney. We wnt to stay for about our first 6 days (until we find a flat or houseshare!). Does anyone have any advice as to where we could stay?

Our budget is quite tight so altho we would prefer a twin ensuite room, our budget will probably only stretch to a dorm. I have seen some places with 4 bed dorms, female, ensuite so that would be nice if possible. Dont wanna be sharin with icky boys!! We also really want to meet new people so would like the hostel to be lively enuf - we are in our mid-20's!

I have seen a couple of places that look nice - do you know anything about:

Harbour City Hostel?

Wattle House?

We have also been looking in Manly coz apparently it is really nice and has a good party feel.

Does anyone know anything about Manly Backpackers on Raglan Road?

Or Boardrider Backpackers?

All we want is a clean hostel that is full of fun...is this too much to ask??

Thanks for your help!!!!

Sydney
reviews: 4
1. Re: Nice Hostel Needed!!

The Manly option sounds like it is the one for you.... there is a hostel right at the ferry wharf on the East Esplanade which looks like a great location. Raglan Street is several blocks back from the wharf (and shops), and it's a long street, so I don't know exactly where the hostel you mentioned will be. There is also at least one other hostel on Ocean Beach Road. You could always book your first night at the one you know about, and then check out the others after you arrive... in such a small, compact area, moving to somewhere more desirable shouldn't be such a big deal. I can't really tell you which one would be the best place to meet new people, or which one has a party feel, but I expect you'll be able to judge this when you're right there on the spot.

Of the other suggestions, the only one I know is Wattle House, which seems to be very popular. It's in Glebe, a short bus ride from the city.... a pleasant inner-city suburb which is very convenient to Sydney University. However, at the time of year you are coming, the University is on its summer break, and the harbour is at its absolute best, and it's always great to be near the water.... so, for my money, Manly is the place for you!

Dublin
2. Re: Nice Hostel Needed!!

Thanks a million for your advice!! Its so hard going to a new place but not knowing where to go/ stay... Manly sounds like the place to stay!

One further question tho...Im a bit worried about the price of transort into and out of Sydney every day from Manly and was wondering perhaps if we might be better off staying in the Sydney Central YHA?? I have heard good things about this ...ie it is clean and nice and we would meet lots o new people. Would you still think Manly is a better bet for me and my sis??

Thanks again for the help!

Sydney
reviews: 16
3. Re: Nice Hostel Needed!!

Transportation certainly becomes an issue at Manly, ferries are cheaper but slower than the (more expensive) Jet Cats, and buses take a while, especially in the morning rush hour. Sydney Central YHA is, as it suggests, central and convenient, I haven't heard about what it's like recently but friends stayed a couple of years back and had no complaints. You'll no doubt meet people wherever you stay, and if the hostel itself isn't buzzing, there are plenty of pubs near either.