We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Blue Mountains

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 60
Best way to Blue Mountains

I was hoping to get some advice from the group... I've learned so much from reading the forums. thanks to all! My family and I plan to go visit the Blue Mountains for a 2 night trip. What's the best way up? Train, bus or car? And what are the roads like? Is it scary, with zig zag roads, where you drive right beside cliffs (or whatever you call them?). Will be travelling with grandma who is scared of heights and she doesn't want all of us to go to BM. But the rest of the group want to see this World Heritage site, so in order to convince her to come, we have to make sure that the roads are not steep and scary on the way up... Thank you very much in advance.

Bangkok, Thailand
1. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

HI! I forgot to mention that we are a family of 4 adults and 1 infant... just want to know which is the most economical and / or convenient transpo to BM. Bus, train, van. Thanks.

Great Yarmouth U.K
reviews: 11
2. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

Hi HM168. I have been looking at one day tours for the Blue Mountains for 3 adults in November but I have found that I can rent a large family car for 4 days for the same price. Going to get a car with sat nav and do our own thing. Tel

Warwickshire...
reviews: 34
3. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

I agree with Tel - when we were there a couple of years ago, we also hired a car for our trip to the Blue Mountains. The roads are fine - no zig zags or scary, steep drops to contend with. It was a lovely drive to Katoomba - plus, with a car you can schedule your visit to suit you and not rely on strict timetables.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
4. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

Thanks Tel and TrishP! Will rent a car then. Last question about the roads, are they big highways going up? Would you say it would be 2 or 4 lanes on each side? (I'm sorry, but we really have to convince my grandma that it's safe and no steep climbs up the mountain.) I also forgot to mention that we are used to driving on the other side of the road, do you think it is a major factor to be taken into consideration. Or do tourists just wing it?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 34
5. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

Driving to the Blue Mountains is easy. There has been a lot of roadworks in the last few years, mostly widening the road and getting rid of a lot of corners (you may still get stuck in trafic though as the roadworks are ongoing) Are you coming from Sydney or elsewhere ? If you are driving, the best way if along the F3 freeway which takes you to the foot of the Mountains at Penrith and then becomes the Great Western Highway. The drive to Katoomba take about an hour from there. There are trains and tour buses that head up there as well.

Need anything more, just let us know.

Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

Thanks guys! One more question, can you please refer me to a car rental company that offers good rates. Thanks!

Great Yarmouth U.K
7. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

There seem to be so many car rentals in Sydney. I found the best way was to go through a search with Google for Sydney car rental. A lot depends on where you want to pick your car up from and where and when you want to drop it off. I think I am going to wait untill I get to Sydney as I have been told on the Forum that I will have no trouble in getting a car when I need it. Have a good time. Tel

Great Yarmouth U.K
8. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

I asked the question about car rental in August and Sedaka gave me some great information about getting to The Blue Mountains and The Hunter Valley. It is now posted on page 13 or could be page 14 by the time you read this. Have a look at the replies as there are also mentions of web sites for car rentals. Tel

sydney,aust.
9. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

For smaller cars Bayswater car rental is economical.

the freeway west to the mountains is the M4. The F3 freeway runs north.

us
reviews: 2
10. Re: Best way to Blue Mountains

Off peak train still has to be the cheapest and most convenient. IIRC, anytime on a weekend or after 9am weekdays (9:02 departure best) you can buy a roundtrip to Katoomba or Leura Falls for practically free (under $10 as I recall).