We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July??

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Weather in July??

I am taking my first trip to Australia at the end of July through the beginning of August - two weeks in Sydney. (Though I hope to travel to see more of the country if my husband can take a break from work!). Can anyone prepare me for what to expect with the weather this time of year? We are traveling with a 7-month old baby and I want to know what to pack! Thanks!!!

Sydney
reviews: 4
1. Re: Weather in July??

Although late July-early August is the very middle of winter 'down under', I have a feeling that someomne from Baltimore would look around and say 'Whatever happened to winter this year?'

The days will probably be dry and clear, with less pollution in the cities than at just about any other time of year. You can expect days to be reasonably warm (in celsius, around 18 to 25 maximum), and the nights cool. The days are, of course, at their shortest right now, but will be gradually getting longer by the end of this month, so you will still see some daylight after 5:30 p.m.

We don't often get rain in August (a few years ago there was not one drop of rain in Sydney in the whole month), but if it does rain you can expect cold, drizzly rain which can make things quite miserable.

If you plan to travel inland, away from Sydney, expect the days to be slightly warmer, but the nights a good deal cooler. Nightly frosts are a regular feature of the country areas in June, July and August.

You will need to pack some winter woolies, but more as if you were going to an Atlanta or Orlando winter, not like you were going to South Dakota! And be prepared to peel it all off on some days and just walk around in shirt sleeves.

united kingdom
reviews: 13
2. Re: Weather in July??

alanJ

we are also in Sydney in August and don't fancy wasting valuable luggage space on winter woolies for the evenings when we venture out for a meal! we thought we would see what the temperature is first and the buy as we need to. our "summer" evening temperatures in the UK at the moment are around 10 to 15C.

we are staying at the Oaks Maestri Towers so what is the nearest shopping outlet/centre to pop into to buy something to keep off the chill although we are bringing jackets.

thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
3. Re: Weather in July??

You are surrounded by shops in the CBD although Myer (cnr of George St just opposite Queen Victoria Building) will be the best place for you to do all. Alternatively there are also the surf shops in George St or King St. David jones opposite Hyde Park or for some tacky Australia Sweaters you could head in to paddy's market (best place to buy souvenirs..same as the gift shops often 1/3 of the price.

Connecticut
reviews: 33
4. Re: Weather in July??

Here's what I took for our trip last month:

Slacks - black, khaki, denim

Turtleneck sweaters - burgundy and black

Sweaterset - white

T-shirts, turquoise, black, burgundy

Silk long underwear

I took a black polartec jacket and a goretex raincoat.

The daytime weather in Sydney was mid-50's, in Cairns around 80. We even managed to fake a dressy outfit for dinner at 41.

I carry a small Land's End suitcase (easily a carryon) and a backpack. It was a squeeze getting all the souveniers in on the return trip but I made it.

united kingdom
reviews: 13
5. Re: Weather in July??

GW

thanks for the shopping tips. I always like a bargain! paddys market sounds just fine. we are bringing expandable suitcases for the souvenirs so will keep clothes to a minimum.