We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in CBD Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Apartment in CBD Sydney

Hi,

I've been looking through apartments in the city within my budget to be 150aud per nite. I am travelling with my family (parents, bro n sis) so, I need to have a more family like accomodation for our vacation this time. We will be staying for 5 nites.

I listed below the apt, can anybody give the suggestion which is the best option before I secure the booking. My concerns are value for money (I prefer the cheapest one), easily reach by any means of public transportation (train, bus and taxi).

1) Pacific International Apt

2)Oak Maestri Tower

3) Clarion Suites

4) Quality Suites Southern Cross

5) Comfort Inn Cambridge

6) Metro Apartment

7) Sydney Central

8) Stellar Suites at Wentworth

Thanks in advance

Malaysia
1. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

One more thing I'd like to add. I'd like to get only studio apartment. Is it ok if 5 people to be in one apartment according to policy. Im very budget tight so bigger apt is more expensive. Any suggestion??

Thanks

Sydney
reviews: 4
2. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Guruswife, where are you when I need you?

Gold, I have to say now that apartments are not my strong point, so I am quite happy to be corrected on everything that I say with this answer. This is just something to think about.

Firstly, if you are talking five adults, I cannot imagine any studio apartment having enough room/facilites for you all. My understanding of "studio apartments" is that you get a single room which you sit in in the day and sleep in at night. Five people? I can't see it. I think you'll need to choose a quad room and ask for the couch to be made into an extra bed... THAT would probably be "within policy".

Have you priced the 8 hotels you listed? It's a bit hard to tell you which one is best value for money unless we know what prices you are being asked to pay. If the Comfort Inn Cambridge is the place that I think it is (I know of a hotel in Darlinghurst called the Cambridge, but I didn't know it was a Comfort Inn), then it would probably be the cheapest, because I have heard, in the past, of people getting some quite incredible deals at this place. But it isn't all that well located.

Still, with the price limit you have put on the apartment, I really don't think you'll be looking at a top location; you really might be wiser to look at places out of the CBD (if you get something near a railway line, you will find that Sydney's public transport system is really quite efficient) and take a two-bedroom apartment, so you will actually all be able to sleep in it at the same time!

I looked up my one known cheap-as-chips apartment in the CBD (The Napoleon-on-Kent) but even it couldn't match your price for something that would take five people. The Waldorf at Eastwood could do it, (check http://www.eastwood-serviced-apartments.com.au/), but I haven't heard any great reports about it lately -- the management apparently are not very responsive to complaints!

Well, I'm not being much help, am I.... I seem to be a real "downer" on this one! But maybe I can be of some help if you tell me the rates you have been quoted for five people in an apartment in each of the above establishments. If you haven't got the prices from them yet, you may be in for a rude surprise.

I hope the situation isn't as black as I'm painting it! Maybe Guruswife will have better news!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 41
3. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

dear gold,

i agree with AlanJ that 5 people will not be allowed to occupy a studio apartment.

did a quick check on (7) medina sydney central and it'll cost A$185 for a studio. (2) oak maestri is also out of your price range. (4) southern cross has double rates starting from A$169. these 3 apartments are in central locations - close to transport etc but not within your budget.

i have been recommending people to check out the sydney central youth hostel. now, do not think the worst. this yha place is very centrally located close to chinatown, darling harbour and is walking distance from alot ot places that tourists to sydney would like to visit. also, it has a roof top pool! check it out on this site

www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm…

the best thing about this place is that it is within your budget. a multi share room price ranges from A$28-33/person. be aware that if you are not a member of the yha then you need to add A$3.50/night/person.

good luck in your search. ask if you need more help.

june

Sydney
reviews: 33
4. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

I'm afraid, like AlanJ, my research here is poor, but one possibility is the Oaks Goldsborough Apartments which are pretty much on Darling Harbour.

It is largely level here. Good public transport connections (tram, bus, ferry, and our toy monorail) and lively. It is a much less "sleazy" area of town than near Kings Cross although arguably less characterful.

I notice that their 1 bed apartments have a normal maximum of 4 (2 on sofa bed) but it may be worth talking to them about whether they'd consider allowing an extra person.

The one bedroom weekly rate (even the daily rate) is within your budget.

The rates I was looking at were on wotif.com.au.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
5. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Alan, I answered this post late last night and it was there when I went to bed...anyway.

My pick would be Oaks Maestri. Probably followed by Pacific International. This mainly based on location and reputation.

Southern Cross and Stellar are quite a walk from most places as they're up behind Hyde park and across. It may cost you more in transport just being that little bit further away becuase there are 5 of you. In your previous post you mentioned your mother has walking difficulty so the area beyond central may be just a little too far for her.

Rooms...no way studio...they usually are 2 adults and 2 kids....never 5. One bedroom...this will depend on the age of the occupants..anyone over 12 is an adult (you haven't told us your bro and sis age). You may possibly still need a rollaway for which there will be an extra charge. I suggest you contact each hotel and base your choice on a combination of location and price...closer to CBD the better for your mum...some may offer a free rollaway for under 12's...

Good luck

Great Yarmouth U.K
reviews: 11
6. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Hi Gold

Like yourself I have resently been looking for an apartment in Sydney but I have seen good and bad reviews on most of them. I have now booked an apartment in Manly which is a short trip into Sydney. Try looking at manly-seaside.com for a good selection of apartments in the Manly area.

Great Yarmouth U.K
7. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Hi Gold

Like yourself I have recently been looking for an apartment in Sydney but I have seen good and bad reviews on most of them. I have now booked an apartment in Manly which is a short trip into Sydney. Try looking at manly-seaside.com for a good selection of apartments in the Manly area.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

If you are staying at Manly definitely buy a daytripper, return ferry is 12AUD (it may have just gone up).. while the daytripper is 15AUD and you can then use it for buses and trains in the CBD. You wont be able to use the fast service tho.

Great Yarmouth U.K
9. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Hi Guruswife

As there will be three of us staying in Manly is it cheaper for us to use a taxi or ferry to go to Sydney. Tel

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Apartment in CBD Sydney

Ferry by far..a taxi is probably around 40AUD minimum (this is just a guess) and would take double the time or more of a ferry (in the mornings you would be talking somehwere around an hour at least and 60AUd for the taxi..

I stand open to correction if anyone has amy more accurate figures..