We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra with toddler.

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Canberra with toddler.

Hi, we are going to be in Canberra for 5 days with our 2.5 yo in June.

I am looking for family friendly accommodation, restaurants but most importantly ENTERTAINMENT. Any suggestions? Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
11. Re: Canberra with toddler.

We r also travelling to Canberra in June with a 2.5 yr old 4 days only. soo much to do I'd like to see some of the museums & galleries around the lake just trying to fit everything in. Is the kids Area in Canberra Musem Gallery & the National Gallery worth it. How long would you need at Tiddbinbilla & Space Communication

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 97
12. Re: Canberra with toddler.

The NGA seem to do a good job - they do a variety of activities so I suspect it can be variable - but they do put in a bit of effort. Not sure how they currently operate. Used to be only at fixed times so you may want to check with them.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
13. Re: Canberra with toddler.

>>Is the kids Area in Canberra Musem Gallery & the National Gallery worth it.<<

We went to see an exhibition at the Canberra Museum and Gallery recently and there seemed to be a playgroup in session in the foyer / main corridor / cafe space. We were kind of puzzled why a handful of mums and toddlers were running their playgroup in the middle of a public corridor. So that explains it. Unless there is a specific exhibition that you are interested in (and sometimes they do have fascinating exhibitions) I'd give the place a miss.

For information about Canberra's history Regatta Point is better, with lovely views of the lake, and the nearby Commonwealth Park is a nice place to let a youngster go for a run (though of course keep an eye on them with all that water around).

I'd allow at least half a day for the drive down south, or you could make a day of it depending on your enthusiasm and other priorities. The visitors centre at the Deep Space Communication Complex isn't large but definitely worth a look, for the moon rock and the view of the big dish among other things. There's a small cafe. Tidbinbilla has the playground as mentioned before. There are various walks, though most are probably a bit ambitious with a toddler in the middle of winter. You could ask at the visitors centre when you arrive what they suggest on the day or if there are any guided walks to join, for example I see the website mentions platypus walks on Sunday afternoons. The wetlands walk is one we regularly do and in fact I did glimpse a platypus there once. It's flat and has nice boardwalks. One thing to keep in mind is Tidbinbilla is very close to the mountains to the west so it gets dark early there. Btw there is now a cafe at Tidbinbilla, open Wed-Sun only. If you do the drive as a loop you could also visit the old historic Lanyon homestead and the site of the Mt Stromlo Observatory which was damaged in the 2003 firestorm. Both are closed on Mondays and have cafes on site.

Edited: 6:07 am, June 09, 2013
14. Re: Canberra with toddler.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2014