We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Which Australia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 33
Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

I thought it would be nice if cities around the world ,(like where I live) who let their over 60s use public transport free of charge, had a reciprical arrangement with other cities. The loss in income from tourists wouldn't be great and it would make life a lot simpler.

I can use my Centro card anywhere in the UK FOC.

Do cities within Australia offer this service?

I think I'll suggest it to my city council, and see what they say.

Today I went to see the West Brom Liverpool game at the Hawthorns. My own team were away at Everton.

Parking is a nightmare round the ground, so I drove to the metro link station three stops away, parked right outside. Got on the light rail which runs evey 8 min and got off at the Hawthorns, for a five min walk to the match.

Didn't cost me a red cent.

The Baggies won 2-1 BTW.

Villa got a point at Goodison Park.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 136
1. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

We have free travel around the city area for everyone...

Perth, Australia
reviews: 44
2. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Perth & Freo Councils offer free transport services around their main precinct areas at specific times for all. There is free travel for local Seniors all over the metro area outside peak hour and on weekends. Free travel does not apply to non local Seniors.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

No free travel for anyone in the Sydney area (apart from some central city). Seniors who are not working can get a Seniors Card, which allows purchase of a $2.50 ticket for unlimited travel in the Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong-Blue Mountains areas for one day.

In view of the huge losses made by public transport, I can see no prospect of any NSW government offering free transport to people who do not live in Australia.

Edited: 7:55 pm, April 02, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Seniors in Adelaide do get free public transport between the hours of 9am and 3pm - but you must be a holder of a state issued seniors card.

There is also free transport for everyone within the CBD

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Nick don't forget the free shutle buses in the various town centres, eg Wollongong, Rockdale Campbelltown.

Yes you need to pay to get between places but that is the nature of public transport..the public pays (and so they should)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 75
6. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

there's a free 'loop' bus round Parramatta too.

At $2.50 the seniors day trip fare is way below what the rest of us pay on public transport - agree with Guruswife - 'so should they'

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 11
7. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Would be a good idea, we have recipricol health care and that is far more expensive.

I saw an old lady being accosted by transit police in Sydney over a $1 fare and it was truly an ugly sight. . Seniors and children should be able to use public transport cheaply and without intimidation no matter if they are from Paris or Sydney. A good society looks out for the young and the old,.

Once we question the elderly and the young over a $1 train fare we have lost moral compass. They shoud always feel they can get home safely.No questions asked. Afterall we can afford it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

Wow a $1 train fare...please tell my parents where they can find that one..

yeah a zone 1 bus fare ie a piddly little trip in the centre of sydney is $1 but hey head out beyond central and the price is higher and it's been that way since theb Olympia Milk bar placed itself on abus stop

Sorry but i totally disagree that children should get free travel..they use it cheaply in Sydney after number one at child fare you pay no more...and IMHO that means if some person should alight the bus that needs a seat for any reason then the kid is on your lap....if you have 2 free kids (ie 2 under 5) then the time you are travelling should be considered..

LOL in Paris my kids paid a lot more than here just to get on the metro (you pay for both)

England
reviews: 33
9. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

I'll get me coat

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 37
10. Re: Any chance of reciprical free travel for over 60s?

>>I saw an old lady being accosted by transit police in Sydney over a $1 fare and it was truly an ugly sight.<<

Verdant, when did this take place? The pensioner all-day fare has been above $2 for a LONG time.