We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Kukulcan Travel, Palenque

Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 11
Review of Kukulcan Travel, Palenque

After reading: http://lacanja.com/campamento-en-lacanja.html I traveled to the Lancondian community, in the south of Chiapas with "Kukulcan Travel" (I'll discuss them shortly). I was very disappointed on several counts, although the Bonampak and Yaxchilan tours were both adequate (relatively speaking).

The Lancondian guide, a 15 year old just out of high school, was very friendly and kind, yet totally clueless about the history of the culture and couldn't even name the Ruinas he walked us through the jungle to observe. This was made even more difficult to accept when we realised on our return, there was nobody else available in the resort to talk to or even in the restaurant to feed us and the head of the tribe, had apparently decided to go to Palenque city. We'd just traveled from there, and we found out that he could be days and nobody had no idea when he'd return.

Having discussed with the travel agent, "Miguel Angel Rodriguez", of Kukulcan Travel, Palenque before committing to our purchase that the most important feature of our tour was the cultural exchange and meeting the Lacandonian people, this was most disappointing. I expected him to be able to help, I promptly sent him an email in Spanish for clarity... Several hours later there was still no reply, no Collectivo to return us to civilisation and still nobody around to discuss history or their way of life, even though I'd made special arrangements to stay two nights instead of one so we could talk about the culture for longer. I made a phone call from a ridiculously expensive ($3pes p.min) pay phone from the next resort... At this point Miguel realised it was me and could only repeatedly say: "Hello, hello, it's a bad line! Sorry I can't hear you!" This was a lie. My partner then called and spoke with him in Spanish to help clear things up. He was less than helpful over the phone, but that was nothing in comparison to what transpired when we returned to Palenque: we spoke with him in person as soon as we could. He got particularly upset as I explained to him that "we had paid over $2000pes and if he took the money for the tour it was his responsibility to honour our agreement and deliver the tour we had asked for" he was getting more and more angry. Then he hit me on the arm trying to get me out of his shop. I was not intimidated by him and wouldn't move. My partner continued to explain in Spanish that he has a responsibility after taking so much money... I would like people to be aware that he came on recommendation from a friend who lives in Mexico city, but his friendly tone and "can-do attitude" rapidly turned sour as soon as he realised that *another* customer was disappointed. His advertised tours are a sham. He is violent and immature and eventually he turned to cheap insults in Spanish and English as we left his shop disgusted with his conduct.

Please take this warning, buyer beware - these guys are looking to exploit the Lacandonian people and your hard earned travel money. I expect you won't see anything close to the value of $2300pes we paid, here is his website so you know exactly who to avoid: http://www.kukulcantravel.com/

1. Re: Review of Kukulcan Travel, Palenque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, June 20, 2013