We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe travel in Villahermosa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Villahermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
White Lake, MI
reviews: 23
Safe travel in Villahermosa

My company is recommending that we avoid travel in Mexico. I have a need to visit Villahermosa. Is it recommended to avoid Villahermosa?

- If so, why?

- If not, what is different between Villahermosa and the other cities in Mexico that are in such turmoil?

9 replies to this topic
Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
1. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

There are areas near the border that have a high rate of crime and one or two others that are experiencing the same (e.g. Acapulco). 95% of Mexico remains as safe or safer than the U.S. or other similar countries. I would not hesitate to visit Villahermosa which is more peaceful than most (and I will in fact be visiting there later this year).

Gig Harbor, WA
reviews: 43
2. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

I'm interested in a tour that starts in Villahermosa in November. Usually I arrive a day or two early to rest up before the tour begins. Is it safe for a lone woman to travel to this destination alone?

My travel agent would reserve a hotel for me, arrange airport pickup, arrange transportation to next destination for me.

Thanks,

Donna

Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 8
3. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

Check out this Map where the bad spots are in Mexico. Click on the map to enlarge it:

http://www.travelweekly.com/mexicomap/

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
4. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

The whole area in that part of Mexico is unaffected by things happening thousands of miles away. Of course crime happens - but probably no more so than where you live. You will be fine in private or public transportation.

Shell Lake
5. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

Wisconsin Lions travel to MX to do eyeglass missions but haven't in the last two years because of safety issues. I would like to plan one for November in Villahermosa but safety is my biggest concern. I would be bringing 25-30 Lions with me and can't possibly put any of them at risk. We would travel as a group, would be there for perhaps a week and would work with local Lions and others to get it all set up and carried out. What do you think? I'd like as much information as possible about this. Thanks Bill

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
reviews: 3
6. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

That map has not been updated in over a year, there were many problems in 2011 and 2012 that you are not seeing now, go and enjoy your trip.........

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 66
7. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

Once again...

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5815.html

It's broken down carefully by region, and kept up to date.

Edited: 12:57 pm, March 30, 2013
rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
reviews: 3
8. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

And I still see no problems where the OP wants to visit (Villahermosa) in fact no warnings in Tabasco,Champeche or Chaipas......

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 33
9. Re: Safe travel in Villahermosa

I have been travelling throughout Mexico for more than 25 years with no incidents. I have driven across the border many times, flown into several cities including Guadalajara, Cancun, Merida, Villahermosa, Campeche, and Mexico City with absolutely no problem. If you deal with drug cartels then you will have a problem of safety just as you would in any North American big city. The Yucatan is one of the safest places to travel in Mexico. Most negative opinions I have found are from people who have never been there. Go and enjoy the hospitality of a great people.

Reply to: Safe travel in Villahermosa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted