We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villa hermosa to san cristobal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Villahermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
reviews: 3
villa hermosa to san cristobal

I have read the route via Palenque is harrowing. It seems that there is another route to the west to get to San cristobal that does not go through Palenque. How does it compare, both time and distance wise, and in terms of comfort?

Thanks

Corvallis, Oregon
reviews: 4
1. Re: villa hermosa to san cristobal

Hello, I am wondering if you traveled from Villahermosa to San Cristobal De Las Casas or if you received an answer to your question? We are leaving for the area very soon. We will arrive into Villahermosa and travel directly to San Cristobal. We will then have to make our way over to Palenque, all travels will be by rental car. I am hoping that you may have some advice. I look forward to your kind response.

Thanks so much.

Wendy Novet

Corvallis, Oregon

Montreal
2. Re: villa hermosa to san cristobal

Sorry I never did get a response. I have read that the drive via Palenque is harrowing and potentially nauseating. Was asking about an alternate route.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Belleville, Canada
3. Re: villa hermosa to san cristobal

There is an excellent highway from Villahermosa to Palenque. Terrain is flat and boring. After Palenque, things get interesting. It rises up into the Chiapas highlands and the road twists and turns. It was in good shape when I was there in March. All paved. There are 2 great places to stop for breaks - Agua Azul (waterfalls, rapids and swimming - lots of tourist vendors), and a little later Misol Ha (waterfall and lagoon - a few good restaurants). In both places you have to pay 2 admissions (one for the state and one for the autonomous Zapatista communities). After that, there are some towns and villages, but nothing worth stopping for. The road is safe to drive, but not at night. Be prepared to be stopped at topes (speedbumps in small towns) and by military checkpoints.

Nauseating only if you are prone to motion sickness. Harrowing - not any worse than any mountain driving in Mexico.

4. Re: villa hermosa to san cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:28 am, May 07, 2011