We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Which Southern Province hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon
reviews: 5
Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Hi all,

I'm looking to go to Udawale for 2 nights in Feb '13 and was looking at the Master Campers (staying in tents over night). It looks great fun but after reading up on Dengue problems I'm a little concerned on the increased risk.

Also staying 2 nights after at Cinnamon Wild in Yala.

Does anyone know of any increased problems at this time of year with the disease, thoughts on whether camping is a good idea?

'll be taking the usual precautions of 50% DEET, covering up and mossie nets.

I also have a few nights camping at Kitulgala...so the same questions apply here too.

Cheers,

Rob

5 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

The camps are highly overpriced and not inside the national parks.

Dengue mosquitos are only flying in daylight AFAIK.

Hans

Swindon
2. Re: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Thanks Hans,

Trip advisor messages seem to say the Master Campers site is inside Udawalawe.

I'm sure it probably is over priced if so, but a but of a captive market I suppose.

We'll be spending around 4 nights out of 14 camping outside and in jungle/park areas, so that was my general concern about increased exposure to getting bitten, and was wondering if this had any founding and any tips anyone had besides the normal DEET.

One more thing though...do places usually provide mosquito nets etc or should you take your own.

This might sound a bit obvious but I've never been to the tropics.

Cheers.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
3. Re: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Hi there,

About 3 months ago ALL tented camps, in Yala and UW and elsewhere, were forced to move out of the park boundaries due to environmental misbehaviour. So probably the TA messages you read were from before that time.

All places have either AC or mozzie nets, but the nets are not always holefree. Bring duct tape for repairs if needed. You could hardly attach your own anyhow due to the ceiling fans...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Swindon
4. Re: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Thanks for the information guys. Its a shame they've moved out of the parks. The info on nets is the sort of thing I don't know about. Obvious things if you've been there...such as do you take your own nets to hotels/tents, is there anywhere to hang them, or are they provided etc. Should we be walking round in flip-flops shorts and tees or are boots long sleeve shirts trousers more appropriate etc.

Just trying to get more of a feel of what we need to take.

Cheers,

Rob

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
5. Re: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue

Hi again,

Flip-flops shorts tees is appropiate for the climate, assuming you have good skin protection against mozzies (DEET based stuff). Nets info already given above...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: Udawale / Yala / Kitulgala Camping & Dengue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Province
More Southern Province Topics