We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Big Sur accommodation

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Help with Big Sur accommodation

I'm driving from LAX up the Pacific Highway in May this year but I wanted some advice on accommodation. I'm thinking of doing 2 nights around Big Sur (driving straight from LAX in one day stopping at Hearst Castle) . We can't afford anything on the scale of Post Ranch Inn or Ventana but would like a nice hotel in the same area so we can eat at the posh restaurants but not pay the high room rates. Preferably somewhere with a pool. Then we were thinking of a night in Monterey. Anyone have any suggestions?

reviews: 740
1. Re: Help with Big Sur accommodation

For Monterey, check out the Best Western Beach Resort, about a five minute drive to downtown Monterey. It is right on the beach and they have a very nice pool area and a jacuzzi. I have some photos posted of the property. The rooms are standard, but it's so great being right on the beach and the rates are pretty reasonable. Hope this helps! :)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Help with Big Sur accommodation

What time will you be leaving LAX? The drive to Hearst Castle from LAX will take approx. 3-4 hours, depending on traffic. From the castle to Big Sur will take another 1-2 hours, which would make for a really long day. I recommend a 1 night stop in San Simeon. Then you can take your time driving up the coast, which you'll want to do as the road is full of hair pin turns and several hundred feet above the ocean.

I can't think of any hotels in Big Sur with a pool that would be affordable. Aside from the upscale lodging, you'll find Big Sur to be quite rustic with several campsites and cabins available,

The previous mention of a hotel in Monterey on the beach is an okay recommendation. I've stayed there twice, although not recently. You might consider Carmel for lodging as this would put you near many "posh" restaurants in the Carmel Highlands and down to Big Sur, which is about a 30 minute drive, if that, from Carmel.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
3. Re: Help with Big Sur accommodation

I agree that your plan would make for a very long day. Just so you'll know, the drive from Carmel to Big Sur is not 30 minutes--it's only 30 miles, but it takes a good hour due to a winding road and slower traffic. If you want to stay in Big Sur, consider Treebones Resort for a unique experience. I don't know of a place in Big Sur with a pool, but I could be wrong about that. Monterey Beach Resort is a good, more-moderately priced suggestion. However, with just one night here, you might consider a B&B in Pacific Grove (Green Gables, Seven Gables, or Martine Inn)--they are across the street from the water, and easy walk to the aquarium, and have direct access to the recreation trail that offers some gorgeous coastline.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
4. Re: Help with Big Sur accommodation

Ragged Point Inn ( 15 miles north of Hearst Castle) could be an option for you. Though they don't have a pool, the Pacific Ocean vistas are welcoming and wonderful. There is a restaurant on the premises with decent food... not posh... but decent.

5. Re: Help with Big Sur accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 27, 2009