We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for accommodation in the Big Sur area

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aalsmeer, The...
Looking for accommodation in the Big Sur area

I am planning a 3.5 week road trip with my family in July 2014 (see full itinerary: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k6716628-3_weeks_in_California-California.html#51683119).

For the two days I am planning to stay in the Big Sur area I am looking for reasonably affordable and family friendly accommodation. My current choice is the Big Sur Lodge, which seems lovely but costs nearly $300 per night. Would you suggest anything else?

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Looking for accommodation in the Big Sur area

The Big Sur Lodge is actually about the cheapest lodging of what I would call normal quality in Big Sur; normal being what you would expect from a standard hotel room in a larger city elsewhere in the world. There are other places to stay for less, but they're REALLY rustic - Ripplewood, Deetjens, River Inn or Lucia Lodge. The problem is supply and demand. There are only about 300 hotel rooms along the entire Big Sur coast (the 90 miles between Carmel and Cambria) and people from all over the world want to stay there.

Edited: 9:53 am, August 07, 2013
Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
2. Re: Looking for accommodation in the Big Sur area

Summer is high season along the California coast and the prices reflect that. You'll find more affordable options in Monterey, an hour north of Big Sur. IF you're traveling south from SF, you can always spend a full day along the Big Sur coast and end the day in San Simeon or Morro Bay where you'll find more affordable lodging options. Same if the trip is in reverse and end in Monterey.

Edited: 11:19 am, August 07, 2013
3. Re: Looking for accommodation in the Big Sur area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 09, 2014