We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 14
Itinery

Hi there

My friend and I have had to make a big change to our trip and it has ended up we will be staying in Santa barbara and have a motorbike from 10th Aug until the 15th to do a little road trip ending back in SB. We are not hung up about seeing everything - and both love the ocean. I havent been north of SB before so am thinking I will want to see Carmel, Monteray and am still reading...! We want to treat ourselves so was hoping to combine with staying in a couple of memorable places - ventana/glen oaks look good but any accomodation slightly different would be great.

If anyone could help with an itinery suggestion that would be great - I'm not the biker! We are on a multistrada if that makes any difference.

many thanks in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Itinery

Have you read the Top Questions on the right side and on the CA forum about the drive ?

Plenty of info on what to do and where to stay. SLO, Pismo beach, Cambria, Big Sur Village and Monterey/Carmel.

There are yurts that offer a different sort of vacation as well -- what did you mean by slightly different ?

Here is a summary article

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c197885/Califo…

London, United...
2. Re: Itinery

thanks - since I wrote that I have been reading madly on here - I hadn't realised there was a fairly set choice along this route. I suppose I want to make the most of being on a motorbike if there were any out of the way places to stay. I like the yurt idea and havent ruled it out, just would prefer something more isolated or right by the ocean.Seems like it will be quite a straightforward trip. Thanks for replying - as always every little helps!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: Itinery

The majority of the Big Sur coast IS isolated. Treebones and Lucia Lodge are probably the most isolated lodging options along the Big Sur coast.

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
4. Re: Itinery

Would staying in a vintage 22-ft Airstream trailer with kitchen and private bathroom count as different? tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g240329…

London, United...
5. Re: Itinery

Thanks kibblesmom I suppose what I mean is that when I looked at the yurts/alternative accommodation I dont like the idea of being so close to another one! Still its all good...having fun discovering the options!...by the way thanks so much for your input on so much stuff on this forum - it is such a help.

London, United...
6. Re: Itinery

thanks Al - going to check it out.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
7. Re: Itinery

If money is no object, then you might want to consider a Tree House at Post Ranch Inn:

www.postranchinn.com/accommodations/tree/

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
reviews: 7
8. Re: Itinery

I just realized you're going next month. You need to book now to have any chance of staying in Big Sur (if it's not too late already). We reserved a Tree House at the Post Ranch Inn two months ago for August and we actually had to move our schedule around because they were fully occupied on many days.

There are only 300 hotel rooms in Big Sur (the 90 miles north of Cambria and south of Carmel) so things fill up quickly.

Edited: 9:22 pm, July 21, 2013
London, United...
9. Re: Itinery

Mmmm, just had a check online and you're right - not a chance along with some others too! Oh well that will teach me! We dont have a fixed itiniery as we've only got 5 nights so sounds like we will just leave it to fate.

Hadnt realised there were so few rooms in the area.

ANyway if anyone has any great ideas for anything (other than hiking) whilst in the Big Sur please let me know - if not I will post a report when I get back.

thanks

10. Re: Itinery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 25, 2014