We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

second visit to Big Sur

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastbourne, England
Level Contributor
846 posts
235 reviews
second visit to Big Sur

On our first trip a couple of years back, roads at south and north of Big Sur were blocked by landslides. Found a small twisty road that took me throgh a military base and I saw a few miles of the coast before it was time to return. Hopefully this time I will be more fortunate.

Trip is next week. I will be staying in Oxnard (for Chanel Islands) then my next stay is in Cambria. I plan to drive past Cambria and go perhaps as far as Pfieffer State Park before retracing steps to Cambria. Next night is in San Francisco, so I plan to drive along Highway 1, visiting Point Lobos (which I have seen before but found amazing) before high-tailing it to San Francisco.

Is there anything else I should include? Interests, scenery and wildlife.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,490 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: second visit to Big Sur

You coming all the way to Big Sur Village to Pfeiffer and then going back to Cambria and then coming back the same road to Point Lobos? That is a lot of backtracking. Check out google maps to see Hwy 1 from Cambria to Carmel

It would be best to stay one night in Cambria and then Monterey and then SF. Check Mike Neenan's photoblog on the right side of this web page in the top questions. Plenty of Info in the top questions on the California foru,

Eastbourne, England
Level Contributor
846 posts
235 reviews
2. Re: second visit to Big Sur

Yes I can see your point, but hotels are already booked (non-refundable) . I'm looking forward to the coastal drive along highway 1 although I will be doing parts of it three times (twice north, once south). I was just looking for advice on stop-offs.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,490 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: second visit to Big Sur

And I hope the photoblog helped you as well as

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762/Califo…

Yes you cannot cut across easily to 101 but perhaps you could use 101 on one of the zig zag trips to go faster -- not that one can get tired of that coastal route :-)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
16,514 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: second visit to Big Sur

I think this plan is a little crazy, but okay. It's at least a 2 hour drive to Big Sur proper WITHOUT stops. Then another 2+ hours for the return to Cambria, only to repeat the following day.

There's more than enough in the Cambria area to keep you busy without spending so much time backtracking on slow & twisty Highway 1.

Here's some of the sights worth a stop:

Hearst Castle

Elephant seal rookery

Ragged Point

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (I suggest you go no further on that first day. You can take in the rest the next day)

5. Re: second visit to Big Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 22, 2014