We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
reviews: 11
Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

I'm trying to plan a wedding in Big Sur, after deciding having a big one at home on the East Coast was too expensive and stressful. Well, now I'm super stressed planning in Big Sur. Since places are booking up fast, is it unreasonable to have guests stay in Monterey or Carmel and drive to Big Sur for a wedding and reception? They would have to drive back at night. I thought it would be too much for them. Any thoughts? Also anyone know of any wedding locations overlooking the coast that don't cost 2000?? Paion is too expensive, Wind and Sea is booked up, I think Point 16 may be too expensive. Right now I want to do Pfeiffer Beach and Big Sur Bakery since that combo seems to be the most affordable, but I have heard the beach might not be good for a ceremony. At this point we are close to eloping and just spending all our wedding funds on two nights at Ventana Inn.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
1. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

Just me, but I probably would not put people back on the road from Big Sur to Monterey if they've been drinking at a wedding.

Here are a couple of stretches of the road.

http://goo.gl/maps/gXpfm

http://goo.gl/maps/FSgia

As you can see, not street lighting and no guardrails for much of the drive.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
2. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

"......is it unreasonable to have guests stay in Monterey or Carmel and drive to Big Sur for a wedding and reception? They would have to drive back at night. I thought it would be too much for them. Any thoughts? "....

Yes, it would be too much for them. And if the overnight road work is still going on at the time of your wedding, they may not be able to get back to Monterey/Carmel after your reception. They currently close the highway between 9 pm and 7 am.

I understand your conundrum about Pfeiffer Beach because of wind concerns, but that is probably the path of least resistance to keeping it affordable.

I suggest trying to secure room blocks at Big Sur Lodge, Glen Oaks Motel and Ventana for your guests so they don't have to worry about driving Highway 1 after dark or face possible road closures.

Edited: 8:54 pm, March 06, 2013
San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 40
3. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

>>At this point we are close to eloping and just spending all our wedding funds on two nights at Ventana Inn.<<

Save enough money for a reception for friends and family at home after the honeymoon, and this sounds like the best plan!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
4. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

I agree. This is not a destination wedding which would be easy for your guests, as I think you are realizing. It sounds almost as stressful

for you as your original East Coast plan.

Susan has the answer. Enjoy being married in Big Sur, have a couple of nights at Ventana or Post Ranch Inn and then when you go back East have a bang up reception (bring your photos.)

Congratulations and best wishes.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
5. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

I agree with Susan and Puter. The only other option that makes sense to me, if you do decide to have the family come out here, is to marry at , say, Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. www.mtycounty.com/pgs-wedding/locations.html

Then, after a nice dinner with the family, you and your husband could honeymoon in Big Sur, and the family can either go home or explore the Monterey area before going home. When you consider the cost to your guests though, I think a wonderful reception at home makes a lot of sense. Good luck, whatever you choose.

washington dc
reviews: 11
6. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

Thanks for all of the advice!!!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
7. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

Hoping everything falls into place for you, atm4966

San Francisco...
8. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

Yeah, wedding planning cam be tricky and destination weddings seem harder still. FWIW I'm not a fan of destination weddings because we had to miss the wedding of close friends cuz I couldn't get the time off (new job) and $$ ( we were buying a house.) Maybe I'm old now but I'd rather go to a low key (and less $$$) wedding and enjoy the day vs. seeing the bride and groom stressed (and starting married life in debt) Congrats on your engagement!

9. Re: Monterey/Carmel to Big Sur after reception

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 13, 2014