We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting discouraged

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Getting discouraged

I posted before about our upcoming trip from LA to Carmel on Hwy 1, but I am getting discouraged. We are finding it almost impossible to find a place to stay in Big Sur that is under $200. We did this trip on our honeymoon, and granted it was 25 years ago, but I remember the shock of $100 hotels. Of course prices have gone up, but are there any decent places that are less expensive.? If not, we'll see about staying in San Simeon and using it to travel up the Hwy on day trips but I don't really want to do that. Am I SOL? Any suggestions?

Level Contributor
50 posts
78 reviews
11. Re: Getting discouraged

I haven't stayed here yet but have reservation in March for a very nice looking cabin in Big Sur. I found it on TA under the Big Sur vacation rentals section for $175 per night ( min 2 nights). It's titled Eco friendly. Cabins look nice and new. We were in same situation of wanting to stay in Big Sur but couldn't afford other places. Didn't want to camp! It has good reviews so we're hoping for the best. Hope you have a good trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
11 reviews
12. Re: Getting discouraged

Fernwood has a small room that I remembered that sold for the 100+ range, It is next to their Bar/Store on the highway,so maybe noise is what keeps the price low. I would give them a call directly to see if that would be an option.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
662 posts
13. Re: Getting discouraged

What about the Big Sur Lodge? I agree w/ the other comment that things tend to be $$$, in part because it's a remote location. Aside from eating, a lot of the activities are free--hiking, enjoying the beach, just soaking up the ambiance. Not sure what your total budget is for this trip but I think it's worth spending a night in Big Sur vs. staying in Monterey.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
937 posts
8 reviews
14. Re: Getting discouraged

I agree that spending a night in Big Sur is a completely different experience than staying elsewhere or driving through Big Sur without appreciating its ambiance. In my earlier post I suggested several affordable options (from $100-180 or so)

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
15. Re: Getting discouraged

big sur is great

16. Re: Getting discouraged

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 09, 2014