We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting discouraged

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arizona
reviews: 35
Getting discouraged

I posted before about our upcoming trip from LA to Carmel on Hwy 1, but I am getting discouraged. We are finding it almost impossible to find a place to stay in Big Sur that is under $200. We did this trip on our honeymoon, and granted it was 25 years ago, but I remember the shock of $100 hotels. Of course prices have gone up, but are there any decent places that are less expensive.? If not, we'll see about staying in San Simeon and using it to travel up the Hwy on day trips but I don't really want to do that. Am I SOL? Any suggestions?

Avila Beach...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Getting discouraged

I don't know when you are going or where you have looked - you are not going to find anything for $100, but Ripplewood Resort, Big Sur River Inn, Deetjen's and Fernwood Resort all have rooms under $200. Or you can get an adventure tent at Fernwood for $100.

arizona
2. Re: Getting discouraged

Ok, thats kinda what we figured. In my younger days, I would have just gone camping. Ah well - I'll probably try Deetjen's for a night (we will be in the area the first part of June)

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 44
3. Re: Getting discouraged

i also found monterey to be the least expensive out of big sur, carmel and monterey. there is more of a selection of chain motels.

Dublin, California
reviews: 31
4. Re: Getting discouraged

25 yrs ago? I blame this on Tripadvisor. 25 yrs ago there was no TA to drum up travel businesses all over the world. People knew nothing about this Big Sur thing. Now everyone flocks to Big Sur when they find out on TA about this beautiful place.

Plus, I am assuming that you are making more money than 25 yrs ago.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
5. Re: Getting discouraged

If you can't find anything in Big Sur, another option would be to stay in the Monterey area.

arizona
6. Re: Getting discouraged

We are both teachers. Don't bet on it... (yeah a little, but we both had our wages frozen the last five years. Its a good thing we aren't in it for the money :)

The other thing we thought was to stay an extra night in Cambria since it would be cheaper than Big Sur and make Pfieffer SP a day trip. Is this doable?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
7. Re: Getting discouraged

I think part of the price of Big Sur accomodation is 1) they are rather scarce so you're looking at supply and demand and 2) all their supplies have to come up (or down) Route 1 and I imagine that adds to their cost of doing business. Besides, hasn't everything about doubled in price in the last 25 years, or is it just my imagination?

Cambria is a very nice spot with a lot of places to stay at various price points. I stayed at the Blue Dophin last year but it's a bit higher than your budget. If Kibblesmom isn't here soon, check her posting history -- she provides long lists of possible accomodations in Cambria frequently.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
8. Re: Getting discouraged

Hi ash67

Sorry you're having trouble finding affordable lodging for your trip. As mentioned, Big Sur is VERY popular, but there is more demand than supply for lodgings, so rates are reflective of that fact.

While I understand you don't like the idea of driving into Big Sur from Monterey or Cambria, you will find more affordable options in those towns in comparison. The drive into the "village" area of Big Sur from Monterey is a little less than an hour, while it's close to a 2 hour drive from Cambria. That pretty much makes Monterey a more viable option.

You can overnight in Cambria or San Simeon before embarking on the drive up through Big Sur to Carmel/Monterey or book one of the available cabins at Ripplewood or Fernwood.

There's a VERY affordable Motel 6 in San Simeon that should suffice for an overnight stop. It used to be a Holiday Inn, so the rooms are a little larger and nicer than your typical Motel 6.

Lodging options in Cambria include Bluebird Inn, Creekside Inn and Cambria Palms.

Don't discount the Monterey Peninsula, either. It offers some stunning scenery via Point Lobos, Carmel Beach, Asilomar Beach and the 17 Mile Drive.

Monterey lodging: Casa Munras, Borg's Oceanfront Motel (Dated, but clean with million dollar views of the Monterey Bay from their street front rooms), Casa Verde Inn, Comfort Inn on Munras, Quality Inn on Munras.

There are also a few B&B's that include breakfast and evening repast that can help defray the costs of eating out: Centrella Inn, Gosby House Inn, both in lovely Pacific Grove, which borders on Monterey and Carmel.

HTH

arizona
9. Re: Getting discouraged

Mmmmm - possibilities! We did already decide to make Big Sur a day trip, but I am definitely going to explore other options in Montery. I think we'll make this work, Thanks so much for your help!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
10. Re: Getting discouraged

Let us know if we can be of further help with your planning.